Ready for Adventure ... Questions

Nov 4, 2014
Catalina 27 No Boat Yet
Alright, there is a C27 for sale and I'm thinking about it.
The truth is I know nothing about this whole thing.
When I go and see the boat, what should I look at? What are the possible problems a C27 could have?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
1. The infamous of a smile. Many Catalina's tend to have a hairline or greater crack at the base of the keel.

2. Look for stains beneath the ports.

3. Look for water in the bilge in any damage that may have caused around the keel bolts or the compression post.
4. One for soft spots around the mast base.
5. Look for blisters in the gel coat. Do a tap test and listen for any signs of delimitation, especially at the edges of the deck and cabin top.
6. The examine the electrical panel for any signs of water damage or corrosion.
7. If you're able to examine the spreader boots were under them, look for rotted boots and or damaged shrouds.
8. If you plan on sailing in shallow waters you may also want to consider a shoal draft keel.
9. I understand that the chain plates can be a problem if not sealed correctly. They will collect standing water under the deck and corrode them at that point. You will not be able to see the corrosion unless you remove them however there may be evidence of that with rust stains inside the cabin. The PO of my C-27 replace the chain plates along with a large angle bracket for backing.
There are a million other things to be concerned with but these are the only ones I can think of there were specific to my C-27.
You may want to get it surveyed, just so you know what are getting into.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
Specifically, yes check the chain plates and the bulkheads, both sides. Also, check the bilge for cracks in the glass work and keel bolt compression. Catalina used wood as a filler in the keel stub and it deteriorates badly with exposure to water. If its a diesel check the engine wiring harness, has it been updated. You didn't say what year but if it has the M18 diesel see if the alternator bracket has been updated. Also, all of the above mentioned items. There are a multitude of inspection points, you might be able to avoid the cost of a survey by simply checking the obvious things yourself. Leave the finer details to the survey once its past your own preliminary inspection.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
This is potentially more hazardous to your wallet than buying a used car in the 1970's. What do I need to know about buying a used sailboat? Com'on! There are literally books on the subject--go check one out!

Nov 4, 2014
Catalina 27 No Boat Yet
Thanks everyone, it is 1978 9.9 HP outboard.
I've been reading up for hours now and I start feeling maybe this boat is too old and tired. Will go and see it regardless.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Thanks everyone, it is 1978 9.9 HP outboard. I've been reading up for hours now and I start feeling maybe this boat is too old and tired. Will go and see it regardless.
I do not really agree with you on this. Have you looked at the boat?

I had a 1974 C27 with a 9.9 I just sold this summer. The owners before me had sailed her all over the Caribbean and although old she was in good shape with a nice rig. Any boat will need work, it all depends on if the PO showed her love how much work they need.

Nov 4, 2014
Catalina 27 No Boat Yet
Another question. What is the cost of upkeep. Assuming there are no major repairs. How much is owning a C27 going to cost me per year? Including marina fees and whatnot?

Nov 7, 2012
Cost .

Here is what we were paying.
$245 a month for slip with no power (solar panels)
$100 annual for liability insurance
$65 to get the bottom cleaned by diver every few months
$700 every 2 or 3 years to have her hauled to paint her bottom
Repairs and such budget $100 a month this will cover sail repairs, motor work, fuel , hoses, lines, fenders etc

Of course you spend more at first to outfit the boat to your liking.

This is for a boat kept in salt water year round. Other locations may differ.

Nov 4, 2014
Catalina 27 No Boat Yet
Thanks! Exactly the information I was looking for. I have to say I did not expect to pay $3k annually for a slip ... everything else is acceptable.

Nov 7, 2012
The slip thing is a big deal. You can get a ball and keep it on a mooring for about half as much but then you have to tender out. You can also put it on the hook for free but that is problematic on its own.

Cheapest slip we found was $180 a month but not that nice of a place.

We did look at a trailer boat (C-22 and C-25) but the 25 was too big to tow regularly neither had a real head, something the Admiral requires.

In a slip you tend to use the boat more. Basically its a money sink no matter how you cut it unless you live aboard, then it is cheaper than renting an apartment.

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
You didn't say where you live, but the most expensive slip in my marina is $1350 per YEAR. I pay $680. My slip includes power, and water is on the dock until it gets cold enough to freeze. If you live aboard they charge $2 a day for the extra power you use. This is on lake Guntersville in Alabama. Boat maintenance gets a lot cheaper when you do it yourself. You won't believe how much info you get here and how when you need an extra hand at the marina, someone always steps up.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
You have likely already seen this boat by now, but I do recommend the book by Don Casey, entitled "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" which speaks for itself. It has detailed lists of structural mechanical & rigging items that need to be inspected, how to sound out decks for core rot, etc.
But more then inspecting the boat, you should think about not only the purchase price but the upkeep, insurance, taxes & slip fees that have been discussed already. Its not the buying of the boat that is expensive, its in the keeping of it that is!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Cost .

Here is what we were paying.
$245 a month for slip with no power (solar panels)
$100 annual for liability insurance
$65 to get the bottom cleaned by diver every few months
$700 every 2 or 3 years to have her hauled to paint her bottom
Repairs and such budget $100 a month this will cover sail repairs, motor work, fuel , hoses, lines, fenders etc

Of course you spend more at first to outfit the boat to your liking.

This is for a boat kept in salt water year round. Other locations may differ.
I love my trailer, mast raising system and my mooring. :eek:

Nov 7, 2012
I love my trailer, mast raising system and my mooring. :eek:
Guess everything is relative. We were looking at beach condos before boats, association fees were $300+ before mortgage and insurance. At least with the baot you can travel.

Nov 4, 2014
Catalina 27 No Boat Yet
You didn't say where you live, but the most expensive slip in my marina is $1350 per YEAR. I pay $680. My slip includes power, and water is on the dock until it gets cold enough to freeze. If you live aboard they charge $2 a day for the extra power you use. This is on lake Guntersville in Alabama. Boat maintenance gets a lot cheaper when you do it yourself. You won't believe how much info you get here and how when you need an extra hand at the marina, someone always steps up.
Louisiana.
In actuality, I did the math and I did not like the results.
Basically, I hate loaning money, everything I own is paid for ... at least it was so until my better half got me into buying this home I did not have cash for so now I have this mortgage. I will pay it off in four years if I do not buy this boat and can tell goodbye forever to Bank of America (in case you didn't know the customer is always wrong at BoA). Also, I never buy insurance unless it is mandatory.
Now, if I buy this boat this means more interest paid to the bank and more insurance premiums paid for insuring my property.
Which means this boat will cost me much more than purchasing price and upkeep.

In short, I decided not to buy a boat until my mortgage is gone.

I guess that means my account must be deleted, I read terms and conditions when I joined these forums and seem to remember people without boats are not eligible for membership or something along these lines.

I will be back one day.

Big thanks to everybody who replied and have fun sailing!

--
Cheers

Nov 4, 2014
Catalina 27 No Boat Yet
Oh well ... it was a nice weather here yesterday (80 °F) and I went for a motorcycle ride. Surprisingly enough, after riding some random 60 miles I ended up at that marina where the boat is. So I had a first look at this boat. It looks nice, fair for the price. I may buy it after all. A friend of mine has a friend who is lifelong sailor, he will come and help me to apprise if I want. Just have to figure out first how much uncle Sam wants for 2014, for some reason I always own 3 or 4 thousand.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
The advice I would offer would be that Catalina makes Excellent boats, alot depends on how they have been cared for. Parts are ALWAYS available, and its exciting to own and sail your own boat. The 27 is a nice boat! Slip costs are area dependent-on Lake Erie ours is
$1450.00 a season for our 310 with water and shore power.