Reading the SI's

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Yes, always read the NOR and SI’s!

Also, I have many fond memories of Gary Jobson commentating Americas Cup races and even seeing him speak in person, but if you’re going to call a televised race you should probably also read the SI’s.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Yeah, GJ wasn't paying attention either. And, not the first time that boats have "followed the leader" on the race course only to learn they sailed the wrong course. Reminded me of the day that Mark Martin drove into the NASCAR pit lane one lap (a few hundred yards) too early thinking he had finished the race.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Competitors should definitely read the SI's!
But I'm not killing these gals for several reasons: First, the boats are fast. Everything that happens, happens fast. Two, this is a series competition and the crews have raced on presumably the same course for the series and probably feel like they know the course. And in the trials leading up to the Olympics they probably used the same or similar course. Three, the racers can't see the graphics we see on TV which make it clear. They've got a lot of boats out there and I'm sure it can be confusing. You can't slow down to figure it out.
Nevertheless it's a shame that these athletes train and train and raise money and basically devote their life to this campaign and then pooch it with a mistake like that.