Re Yanmar 4JH2TE/ H 42- fuel in bilge???

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
I am wondering if any other 4JH2TE owners have had an issue with diesel in the bilge. It seems to me, my most likely cause looks to be injectors leaking where they go into the head. I base this assumption on my observation that my engine seems to be moist with diesel on the injector side of the engine around the injectors . Any input will be appreciated !!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Eian, a possibility, but have not had that issue appear. Hopefully, it is not coming from the fuel tank.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Eian. Your observation of diesel on the surface of the engine would lead me to clean/dry the engine then start the engine to see what occurs. I might even lay some paper towels on the engine in the area of the injectors to see if the spray would leave a pattern. You may not have an issue with the injector. It could be the fittings for the fuel lines. It could be the fuel line with a crack or pin hole. The fuel near the injectors is under high pressure. Over time the mist from a small leak lays down all over the engine and is difficult to identify.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
jssailem- EXACTLY what i had planned to do tomorrow- to the letter!!!!
Get Auto pro fluorescent leak detector. Add to fuel.
You’ll need a black light as well .(cheap)
Add to fuel, turn engine on after dark, and you’ll find the leak immediately .

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
Replace all your hose clamps, any suspect rubber hoses (diesel compatible) and all your copper crush washers on the banjo bolts. You can buy them on Amazon for pennies if you do it by size. Yanmar wants real money.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
sorry- thought I had posted an update here- it turned out the fuel return lines were weeping. They must be original so therefore, 31 years old! Rubber had hardened and the OE spring clamps simply couldn't clamp tight enough, so replaced hose and used worm drive clamps- all dry as a bone now!

Aug 15, 2011
Hunter 45 Legend Holland
I am wondering if any other 4JH2TE owners have had an issue with diesel in the bilge. It seems to me, my most likely cause looks to be injectors leaking where they go into the head. I base this assumption on my observation that my engine seems to be moist with diesel on the injector side of the engine around the injectors . Any input will be appreciated !!
Engine Bilge or main Bilge ?