Re-Wire = Slow Process

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Progress is measured slowly this winter..

Before (limited access to wiring):

During - Spaghetti:

During - Fitting the new swing open panel, VHF/AIS & Stereo:

Access!!:

Making wire bundles, this one for the stbd side:

Still chasing & snaking wire. The connections and neatly laying everything out will take the most time. I also still need to re-build the battery compartment and LOTS of other stuff. When done only three short sections of wire for three overhead lights will be left, everything else electrical will be replaced...

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
MS, At least your working. With a three page todo list before the boat goes back in the water, it is frustrating that with the 6 feet of snow we have received, I can't even get near the boat. Chuck

Feb 6, 1998
MS, At least your working. With a three page todo list before the boat goes back in the water, it is frustrating that with the 6 feet of snow we have received, I can't even get near the boat. Chuck

Trust me shoveling the path between the avalanche snow (read: cement) that slides off the covers of other boats is NO FUN. Then of course waiting and working in a 10F boat until the heater warms it up is also no fun..:confused: We boaters are a crazy lot...:D

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Re: Progress....

I'm glad to see all your wires are labeled - Good Luck on a project that should pay dividends to ease further trouble shooting and upgrading.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
Nice MS

Looks good Maine. Now I feel undone, I have been most reluctant to go down to the "free willy" because of 50 degree weather and a cool breeze. You mean to tell me you are doing this work with the boat outside on the hard? Gotta love your ambition Say, why did you replace that totally awesome panel? It looks like it was totally cusom and done very well. Wanna sell it? Patrick

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Very nice but I have to ding you on the pocket screws;). I have a biscuit joiner you can borrow for next time.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL

I too noticed the pocket screws, is there an off the shelf plug that can be put in there. If you used a buscuit joint you would'nt have any mechanical fastener to hold it together. I suppose the glue joint would probably do? Hey maine, i'll buy your old volt and ampmeters too! And wire!!!

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY

MS .. as always I admire your work! What kind of heater do you use on the hard? My temps will be up to high 30's this weekend ... time to take out that leaking holding tank!

Feb 6, 1998
Very nice but I have to ding you on the pocket screws;). I have a biscuit joiner you can borrow for next time.
With the weight & length of the door I wanted the pocket screws. I used the Kreg stainless fine thread screws plus Gorilla Glue, love the strength, hate the workability. The holes will be filled with either ash or teak plugs, have not really decided yet.

Still need to match the new teak frame to the old teak that has aged. Doing some stain experiments tonight as the varnished & polyurethanes samples are still way to light..

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I too noticed the pocket screws, is there an off the shelf plug that can be put in there. If you used a buscuit joint you would'nt have any mechanical fastener to hold it together. I suppose the glue joint would probably do? Hey maine, i'll buy your old volt and ampmeters too! And wire!!!

yes there is at rockler.com......they have it in oak ,cherry,popular,and maple as well ....oh and i think some lowes stores carry them too...

regards

woody

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
The oil-filled electric radiators are pretty safe to use and work fairly well, with little risk of fire.
MS .. as always I admire your work! What kind of heater do you use on the hard? My temps will be up to high 30's this weekend ... time to take out that leaking holding tank!

Feb 6, 1998
The oil-filled electric radiators are pretty safe to use and work fairly well, with little risk of fire.
Yeah but they suck 1500 watts and don't have a built in fan. On a 12 Ga 125 foot extension cord that is pushing it as is my disc heater on high. I am using a ceramic disc heater at 750 watts and a Mr. Buddy propane heater with a small fan to move the air. The ceramic disc heater keeps the moisture down from the Mr. Buddy and allows me to use tools and the heater with out too much voltage drop. I do need to kill the disc heater when I fire up the heat shrink gun though..;)

Had it up to 74 in there yesterday...

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
hope you're running a co detector with that mr. buddy heater....don't want to hear you ended up a statistic....

Yeah but they suck 1500 watts and don't have a built in fan. On a 12 Ga 125 foot extension cord that is pushing it as is my disc heater on high. I am using a ceramic disc heater at 750 watts and a Mr. Buddy propane heater with a small fan to move the air. The ceramic disc heater keeps the moisture down from the Mr. Buddy and allows me to use tools and the heater with out too much voltage drop. I do need to kill the disc heater when I fire up the heat shrink gun though..;)

Had it up to 74 in there yesterday...

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC

Nice job Maine....why did you use Lexan to mount the panel instead of just wood? Can you see through the section at the top looking at a bunch of wire harnesses? The idea for a hinged panel is a great one, you should patent it. I've never seen one like it before.
When you get all done with this boat are you going to sell it? Make sure you offer it to those on this forum first.
Without a project you would likely go nuts, so sell this one and start another. It must be in pretty new condition once the wire job is done?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --

Maine,
I see you have a Hella light over your nav table. When you are done with the rewiring job you may like to look into the innards of this lamp. I have one and it stopped working. The bulb was okay so I investigated. It appeared to me that it was designed to fail - unintentionally of course!
I don't remember the full details but inside there is a contact made by two pieces of metal just laying together and the slightest corrosion will cause an open circuit.
I just soldered mine and it has been perfect this last decade.

Congrats on the excellent condition of the interior of your boat.

Rgds,

Feb 6, 1998
Nice job Maine....why did you use Lexan to mount the panel instead of just wood? Can you see through the section at the top looking at a bunch of wire harnesses? The idea for a hinged panel is a great one, you should patent it. I've never seen one like it before.
I used polycarbonate to match the look of the galley as it used sliding black acrylic doors. The polycarbonate I used is gloss black and is non-transparent though it looks like it is. That area above the panel will have a digital volt meter, battery monitor, propane monitor and a fuel gauge so there won't be much real estate left any way..

Maine,
I see you have a Hella light over your nav table.
Actually, it's in the round file. ;) Never liked it and found it rather quirky. I have a stainless ABI fixture with glass lens directly overhead with a Sensibulb and a red LED so no real need..

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.

And boat yard electricians of your quality and workmanship charge how much per hour? That is a very valuable project that you are doing. Fine looking work, both the wiring and the cabinet work.