Re-rigging outhaul and reef lines on a 1986 Hunter 3r

Jan 6, 2020
Hunter 1986 Hunter 34 South Florida
I have a 1986 Hunter 34. I sail her off the coast of South Florida. I have owned her for almost 3 years. She''s a well maintained and "graceful old girl". I am looking for drawings of how the outhaul and reef lines where originally rigged inside and outside of the boom. Tried RigRite but they wren't able to help. Thank you.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
How many sheaves do you have on the rear end of your boom?
What lines, if any, are currently being used on these sheaves?
What are they attached to?
I ask all these questions so as to find a common point of reference in an explanation. Various suppliers and Hunter rigged the same hull design in different years differently. The previous owner(s) may have re-rigged or broken some part of the rig and never replaced the original parts.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Google "Slab reefing" and "in boom reefing" to start getting some ideas.

All my pics are at the shop or I'd post some myself.

Jan 6, 2020
Good morning. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help. Reef lines are tied around the boom with a bowline then go up and throuh their individual reef clew and then back down into their individal sheaves at the boom end and fed inside the boom to individual sheaves at mast end and finally going aft outside the boom and tied to invidual cleats on the boom. The outhaul attaches to to the mainsail via a stranded wire and shackle which then enters the boom on its own sheave. I was hoping to replace all three lines by simply using messengers and pulling through new lines.Wish I could know how it all runs inside versus how it should run inside...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The original reef lines on my 34 are tied off around the boom directly under the leech reef points, up to the reef point then down to the aft end of the boom. Then around the little sheave and forward inside the boom to the sheave on the front of the boom; note the little cam stop just aft of the forward sheave, make sure it is open (it can be removed for simplicity). Then, around that sheave to a block on deck under the boom, laterally to the line organizer, then aft under the sea hood tunnel to a cleat next to the companionway. The outhaul on mine may not be original. It is a single line from the aft sliding car around the little center sheave and forward, exiting on a little sheave under the gooseneck to a cleat under the boom. I suspect the outhaul may have had a two part purchase originally.. ??
P1000700.JPGIMG_0362.JPG

• Helpful
Jan 6, 2020
My reef lines are set up very similar. Only difference is they are not LED laterally and back to the cockpit but end up tied on cleats on the boom. Those are pretty straitforward to replace. My outhaul seems very similar as well but ends tied to acleat on the boom. What is not clear to me is if I can replace the outhaul without removing the end cap was hoping to be able to pull the stranded wire aft, disconnect the old outhaul sheet, attach the new sheet to old sheet which would be used as a messenger and pull the new sheet all the way through inside the boom, through the purchases and forward out of the boom. Without seeing inside not sure if that will work though. Thanks all. I'll keep you posted...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mine are like @SFLsailor. I have the baby sister to your boat but I think both boats used Z-spar for the mast and boom.

I recently ran all new line in my boom this past spring. I found it easiest to drill out the rivets and remove the end caps from the boom. I changed out the sheaves at the same time. Then just slid the new line down the boom, threaded the sheaves and pop riveted the caps back on. It was a 20 minute job (not counting the drive to and from the marina).

• Helpful
Jan 6, 2020
Most feedback so far is to remove end caps and go from there. Makes sense to remove end caps and replace sheaves and possibly purchases. I guess I'll find out once I do... Thanks again.

Jan 6, 2020
OK. Thanks! In the meantime, sails are ready. Boat has a clean bottom. Weather permtting, this Saturday, time to go sailimg...!

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
Definitely have to take off mast side cap to replace outhaul. I found a block attached to the steel cable and the line attached inside boom that would need to be removed to replace outhaul line. The reef lines can just be snaked up no problem . good luck Eddie

• Helpful