Re-rigging a Flying Scot (halyards led aft)

MNIAW

Sep 7, 2021
Flying Scot 19 Granite Lake
Anybody done it? I fly solo most days and it's a real pain to have to leave the tiller to move forward to crank up/down the winch assembly on the mast. Never been interested in racing so not worried about class rules. Looking for experiences, tips, tricks, and things to avoid.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I sail what are basically rental FS's. I bring my teflon spay with me to lubricate the mast slot and slides as best I can. Even so the halyard system has too much friction making raising the main difficult. I would not add more friction to those boat systems by running the halyard back.
Your boat being better maintained may not have that problem. The FS vanes pretty well and stopping the boat to go forward works pretty well. You do need to tie the tiller off.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Is your intension to hoist the mainsail from the cockpit and how do plan to avoid getting the mainsail stuck in the mast track? Have you consdered bypassing the mast winch, shown in the photo below, and installing a turing block to route the main halyard aft to winch in the cockpit then to a clutch or cleat? I sure you have this rigging instruction: Flying Scot Sailboats and this YouTube video Flying Scot Sailboat Rigging Video Part 3 - YouTube.

1641147288696.png

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Another solution is a tiller pilot mounted on the aft deck. You could put a bracket that held it in place, clear of the tiller, ready to go while sailing and never take it off the deck. A small yard tractor battery would be all you need to power it for those short times. A small 10 watt solar panel could keep the battery charged.

MNIAW

Sep 7, 2021
Flying Scot 19 Granite Lake
Welcome to the forum!!

Is your intension to hoist the mainsail from the cockpit and how do plan to avoid getting the mainsail stuck in the mast track? Have you consdered bypassing the mast winch, shown in the photo below, and installing a turing block to route the main halyard aft to winch in the cockpit then to a clutch or cleat? I sure you have this rigging instruction: Flying Scot Sailboats and this YouTube video Flying Scot Sailboat Rigging Video Part 3 - YouTube.

View attachment 201421
Sorry for not replying sooner....yes, that was my intention: to rig a turning block so I could lead the halyard aft to a winch/cleat. Good point on the mainsail getting hung up in the mast track. I do have all of the rigging instructions. Was hoping someone has done this and can tell me what I should be on the lookout for or if it was even worth doing.