Re Powering S37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
I have decided to replace the Yanmar 3GMD in my Seidelman 37 with a recently rebuilt 3GM30F. The 3GM30F had a sail drive on it so I am going to reuse the straight drive transmision off the 3GMD. Now that I have the new 3GM30F lowered into the salon, sitting on the sole I'm contiplating how to get the old motor out and slide the new one in. Does anyone have any tricks or advice? I'm thinking about a coupple steel pipes lashed to the motor mounts and use a come along to pull the motor out into the salon.

Aug 7, 2006
- - Grand Prairie, Tx. Joe Pool Lake
I have the same questions regarding a S299...

I am about to pull the 2qm15 and replace it with a new 2ym15, I trying to come up with a way to get it on 2x6's and then slide it out, enough to lift it with the boom. Let me know what you come up with and how well it works.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Moonraker, If you have enough clearance

to allow a 4x4 timber above the engine, you can shackle one end to the lifting lug on the engine and support the timber from the boom and use the timber as a lever to lift the engine and work it forward or get your skids under it. If the engine weighs 300 pounds and you divide the 4x4 1/3:2/3 then 150 pounds hung the the long end will handily lift the engine. I presume that you won't be working alone.

May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
2ym? More power

I'll let you know how it goes If you are going thru the trouble of putting a new motor in I think you should put in something with more power... At least 20hp

W

W Kittredge Sunri II

I've done it...

...and it wasn't as bad as it first seemed. I used the main boom as a 'davit' and to protect it from bending I attached topping lift, main halyard and spin halyard evenly spaced between the mast and the boom end and tightened all 3. Then rigged a heavy web strap and come-along from the boom to the lifting lug on the engine. After disconnecting all systems, removing all components like pump, alternator, etc., I disconnected the motor mounts and shaft - then took up slack on come-along and slid engine forward on the stringers into the main salon very slowly as I took up tension. once clear of the compartment, I hoisted engine up - then disconnected traveler connect point and swung the engine over onto the dock with the boom. It took much longer to do it than to describe it - but it went OK, as did the re-install.

May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
Crane

W Kittredge Sunri II I have the opportunity to use a crane usually used to drop smaller race sail boats into the water to pull my motor. Should I take advantage of it? Also, how did you slide the motor forward so it can be pulled up out of the boat? Nathan 813 426 3549

W

W Kittredge

S37 enging removal

As to the crane - I think it might be a problem if the boat is in the water and moving even slightly relatively to the stationary crane...if you use the boom everything moves together. As to your second question, I had someone on the cabin sole with a sheet of sturdy cardboard and they used brute force to pull the engine onto the cardboard as I very slowly took tension with the come-along. You'll want some material (old blanket folded up) to protect the counter edge where the webbing will rub against the edge as you tighten the rig.

May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
Interested in meeting?

I'm going to be in Ft Myers on Friday on my way back from Miami... Can I buy you a beer or soda while we talk about your re-power experience? Nathan 813 426 3549 nathan@needel.net

Aug 7, 2006
- - Grand Prairie, Tx. Joe Pool Lake
I would have considered more power...

if I were not lake bound... and a small lake at that. I do not expect to be in any conditions where the slightly improved torque of the 2ym vs 2qm15 would not be more than adequate. The 2ym15 is more compact and gives me back a little engine room.

Status
Not open for further replies.