Re-bedding deck hardware.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
My O’Day 28 will be 38 years old next Spring and I don’t know if the deck hardware has ever been re-beded. I’m wondering if anyone knows, do the machine screws which go through the hardware and deck, screw into a threaded backing plate or will I have to cut holes in the fiberglass headliner? If there are nuts, are they glassed into place?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes and No.
In my experience I found all of the above as issues. Often on the same boat.
Generally speaking the heavy working hardware, like winches, will either be through bolted or bolted into a tapped deck plate. Clutches tend to have similar construction. Occasionally a previous owner will want to locate something new on the boat and then it can be anyone's guess. They may have just drilled a little hole and put in a screw. You usually discover this when a drip comes out of the ceiling.

Other than generalities one needs to inspect the individual hardware. You should not have to cut holes in a fiberglass headliner.

Check out @mainesail's info on bedding hardware https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/. I like and use his Bed-It Butyl tape.

You will likely get better and more complete answers to your question if you post a picture of the issue with the query.

Good luck

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Working from memory but I think on the 28 most things are either threaded into plates in the deck (forward lower shrouds) or through-bolted to accessible locations (other shroud plates, jib tracks, winches). Not sure about the main sheet track or the cabin top hand rails.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O’Day 322, there are backing plates and nuts under the hardware...meaning I have to open up the undersides to get to the hardware.

Greg

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
So, I have a 1986 28 Oday and I rebedded almost every piece of hardware a few years ago, just a few things I didn't do, what in particular are you wondering about??

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
I’m wondering if there are threaded backing plates or access to all nuts and washers where the hardware is bolted through the deck. Or am I going to have to cut holes in the cabin liner.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
If white socks above can tell you great... But also call Rudy... D and r Marine

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Sorry for my delay in responding, so if you are referring to rebedding the stanchions, there are no backing plates and yes in some spots they are very hard to get to, I had to cut a few access holes in the liner to reach the bolts. I understand you are asking about hardware thru the deck but specifically which hardware? Oday did not bed with any type of sealant from the factory, so I when I put everything back together I bedded with buytle. All of the holes (including 62 for the sheet car tracks OMG) I over drilled, filled with epoxy and redrilled then used buytle to seal. Let me know which specific areas you are talking about, but generally no they were not good about using solid backing plates in some areas, other's there were some wood backing plates which I'm going around and making new ones for. .... and the fellow above is correct for most of it you do not have to cut into the liner. The cabin top handrails are thru bolted all the way, those were tough to fill with epoxy tho because even tho they were thru-bolted there is a void between the liner and the top layer of glass, we made it work tho. I even took off the mast collar and it was easy to rebed. One of the only things I have not done yet is to remove the traveler, so not sure about that. The lower shrouds do go thru to a plate in the deck.

Shorter and more to the point, most all of it is thru-bolted and not screwed into plates in the deck ;-) and I don't remember any nuts being glassed in place.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: