Raytheon ST4000 Plus auto pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2008
Catalina 30 Pensacola
Does any one use the Raytheon ST 4000 + Autopilot?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1999 model from a friend who never installed it on his boat. It is still in the original box.

What is the reputation of these older units? Can you still get parts and service? I noticed the ST 4000 MKII has been discontinued which concerns me.

I currently have a SIMRAD WP30 on my 79 C30 which has been faithful for the last 9 years but even after a cleaning and a new belt it still slips underload. It appears the clutch assembly is begining to wear out.

The ST 4000+ looks like a nice unit but it's a lot to go through as far as install goes and I'm concerned from the age of this one that if something does go wrong with it after install, I'll be SOL.

Any feedback would be great.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Paul,

I'd say it all depends on price. You are correct that you'd be buying into obsolescence but I think if you take care of it you'll likely enjoy many years of reliable service. I have the MK II, bought 5 years ago new in the box on eBay, I keep all components covered when not in use and it has worked flawlessly, never an issue.

Of course, now I've jinxed myself.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Paul,

I'd say it all depends on price. You are correct that you'd be buying into obsolescence but I think if you take care of it you'll likely enjoy many years of reliable service. I have the MK II, bought 5 years ago new in the box on eBay, I keep all components covered when not in use and it has worked flawlessly, never an issue.

Of course, now I've jinxed myself.
I agree. I had the 4000 and now the 4000+ on my 310 and it works great. I didn't install it but if you look at the manual, it doesn't take a lot of skill to do it. It's very easy to maintain, and the most common part that needs replacement is the drive belt. They are inexpensive and easy to replace. My 4000+ was sounding rough after delivery and I called the PO and he said that he had never had to do any maintenance on it (9 years). After researching it (here) I took the drive off of the wheel, took it home, opened the drive, rinsed it with water, put it back together and it works like new. All of that (not including the drive home) took about 10 minutes.

I use mine regularly and it keeps course well, provided that the conditions aren't too crazy. If you can get a good deal, go for it.

http://www.raymarine.com/SubmittedFiles/Handbooks/Autopilots/ST4000plus_mk2.pdf

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Don't know what they went for new since they were on my boats when I bought them, but...

I found several drive units only on line for the low $500's and one new ST4000+ tiller complete setup for $1400ish. The SmartPilot X-5 is the new comparable version and Defender has it for $1500 or so.

Don't want to tell you want to offer but if you want you could use those numbers as a guide. I couldn't find complete units for sale online. Maybe someone else who has bought one will be able to give you more guidance.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Disclaimer: I'm a relentless scrounger constantly with my eyes and ears open.

I bought mine 5 years ago on eBay, new in the box but without the remote for $768 + cross country shipping. I felt it was a deal at the time. If it were me, I'd try to make as low an offer as possible that wouldn't insult the guy and leave a little room to creep up, like maybe $600 and settle around $700? It's really up to you.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Can you add a remote to them? I would like to add one, even though my wife will laugh at me.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
About 2003 I bought one for about $1100 from a well known chandlery in Conn. their price today for a SPX5 or whatever current generation is called is $1169. Assuming it does have a MarkII drive (the gray one) and not the black Mark I. The newer gray drive wheels are slightly larger and stronger.
The wireless can be added to almost any Ray AP by way of the Seatalk network, about $360 from the people in Conn.
http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=1020&PRODUCT=3036
Almost forgot my point, MarkI drive wheels work ok (I have 2) but are less desirable and should be less $$$.

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
The ST 4000+ works best with a rudder position sensor/indicator. If you can get the rudder indicator go for it but I would't pay more than $500 because after all it's been out of production for more than five years. You can get repair parts but I don't know about additional accessories. The wired remote is great but expect the cable to be getting in your (and your wife's) way.

Jan 6, 2010
Paul,
Lee brought up a good idea for the indicator. Wish I had one but I did mine the cheap way. I replaced my emergency tiller cap with a fiberglass washer and match-drilled thru a 3" PVC pipe cap. I grooved and painted a line across the top and down one side to mimic my rudder position. It's not electronic, but my cockpit is not that big. It's easy to see from most angles.

The washers I had made I change out every couple of years. They snug up the rudder tube from that up & down motion pretty well.

As for price on the autopilot, I have the ST4000. I would check for average E-Bay type pricing, save the links and offer a price to your friend based on that. You can show him the pricing for justification.

For longetivity, I bought my ST4000 '93. I've changed out the belt twice and some rollers, but it keeps running.The important thing is to keep your attached assembly covered from sun & rain. The sun kills everything man made. I also leave none of my electronics in the cockpit. All mine are quickly portable. And, I've been broken into twice.

CR

Apr 17, 2008
Catalina 30 Pensacola
Thanks for all your input. From the feedback I'm getting, it's sounds like a relatively reliable unit. I'll have to try and convince the Admiral that it's something we "need".

Status
Not open for further replies.