Raymarine ST7000 auto pilot- integration with Raymarine Axiom question

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
i upgraded to the Axiom recently but so far it will not allow me to link the ST7000 to the Axiom- I asked Ray about this when i first bought the Axiom and they said not its not possible, but surely they must have done an update to address this terrible shortfall? Has anyone succeeded at this?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
If they said not possible then that would be the answer. Why would you think this has changed? Did you call them or do their on line forum. Calling is better.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Unfortunately Raymarine's online forum has been closed to new postings. It's now view only. It's a shame as it was a valuable tool for users.

The link issue is probably due to changes in technology that software updates cannot fix. The ST7000 is SeaTalk compatible. Then there was SeaTalk 1 and now SeaTalkng is the standard. The Axiom series is based on SeaTalkng.

If no one jumps in with an answer, Maybe search for SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng conversion devices and call their company to see if they have a solution?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Eian, unfamiliar with Axiom, but do you know whether it has an NMEA output data wire for sending GPS routing information? I had a similar problem with connecting my then new Garmin 178C Sounder many years ago. Long story short, the Garmin had a single blue output data wire that sends NMEA routing data to a device, in this case the Autohelm 6000 head. Took several calls to both vendors before I got a fix. The Autohelm has an older NMEA version of software compared to the Garmin, but the 6000 head does receive the data and keeps the autopilot on a steady course.

The only inconvenience, if you want to call it that, is when you come to the end of a waypoint and it is time to change course, depending upon the amount of course change due to the different NMEA versions, it takes a long time for the autopilot to accept and plot the new course adjustment. So, what I do is manually make the course change to the new waypoint. Otherwise, the autopilot snakes a long course to the new waypoint. Once on the new course, the Garmin keeps the autopilot dead on, even making drift adjustments.

No electrical connection to the 7000 course computer other than through the 6000 head, but it does work. Whether your Axiom system has the same, I would suspect so. Wrote an article about my installation and the end result. It took only one wire for one way communications from the Garmin to the head. The head has no output port to the Garmin. That article is here: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
The E22158 "Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter kit" updated with the latest software is compatible with the ST7000 control head. However, you didn't mention what model of course computer you have, you'll need to check compatibility on that as well.

That said, unless it's one of the newer Evo models, there will be limited functionality on the Axiom.

• Helpful

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
i got a reply from Ray- i can see the auto piot on the Axiom, but have to use the ST7000 head/screen to control it- seatalk1 cant talk to Axiom!

• Wow
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
i got a reply from Ray- i can see the auto piot on the Axiom, but have to use the ST7000 head/screen to control it- seatalk1 cant talk to Axiom!
This is correct
You need to buy the P70 controller.
Frankly, you’ll be happy you did.,
Really fantastic capabilities.
At best case, the st7000 will show basic pilot functions
The P70 is a different works.
Which corepack do you have? You need a minimum x-30.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Which corepack do you have?
I'll let Eian reply on this one, but if his boat is similar to ours, it be a ST7000 course computer, that is unless it was replaced with a different brand/model. Ours has a ST6000 head as opposed to a ST7000.