Raymarine ST60 wind vane sticking on Hunter 34

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hi;
ST60 was installed 3 years ago. For the last two years the display shows the wind vane "sticking"
Over some time during an outing it will "stick", usually with the wind abaft, but also on other reaches and hauls with the meter in any given point. It will then spontaneously unstick after about 20 minutes. And then do it again. Rebooting etc. doesn't unstick it. Behaves as though it is sticking at the top of the mast but I visually can't see it. The mast comes down each winter and the pointer always rotates freely. Don't think it's spider webs or bird residues. Is independent of wind force; can happen in strong or light winds. Wiring is secure at instrument.
Anyone experience this? Thanks as always.
Ilan

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I'm not sure if you can't see the vane at all or if you can see it but not observe it sticking. All I can suggest is that when the mast is down swap the cups for the vane and then exhale lightly to cause the cups to spin. Check for sticking. It should only take a very light breath for the cups to spin. You could have a rough spot on a bearing.
If that isn't the problem, maybe it is a faulty sender. Otherwise I don't have another suggestion.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Spiders. They love the top of the mast. Assuming you don't want to take a trip up the mast now, check closely in the fall when the mast is down for spider nests or webs. Or as @Rich Stidger suggests a rough bearing or burr on the plastic.

Jul 4, 2015
Spiders high on the list but has been a recurring problem right from when the stick goes up after being checked so unlikely.
Will have to try the vane cup swap when the mast comes down.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is it the wind speed (cups that spin) or the vane (like your Windex, assuming you have one)?

When the vane (or speed) "sticks" is it both or only one that locks up?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Take it off, take it apart, soak & clean the vane "bearing", lube it, put it back together, and then put it back up. You should be good.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Perhaps you need to change the small electronic circuit board inside the wind vane. Did that for mine and another friend's Raymarine ST60.

Jul 4, 2015
Is it the wind speed (cups that spin) or the vane (like your Windex, assuming you have one)?

When the vane (or speed) "sticks" is it both or only one that locks up?
It is the vane

Jul 4, 2015
Perhaps you need to change the small electronic circuit board inside the wind vane. Did that for mine and another friend's Raymarine ST60.
When you did so, was it for intermittent "sticking" or did it fail to read altogether?
Thanks. Ilan

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Ilan:

Does the apparent wind speed indicator seem to work without issues? (The true wind function would affected if the apparent relative direction has and issue).

Is it only in light appparent winds that the vane seems to get hung up? Is only at one apparent point of the compass?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
When you did so, was it for intermittent "sticking" or did it fail to read altogether?
Thanks. Ilan
it started off intermittent and finally just wonder about at around a port angle.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
my ST 60 started to read 180 degrees wrong on the gauge today --gusts to 35 last night . a terrible spider yer too. mast will have to come down soon so will try all these tricks and hope it's not the $$ circuit board.... (that was hours before the dark n stormy hour when main 100a Circuit Breaker blew and all the 12v went out.) (which would have left us engineless and trying to come into tricky harbor with really bad clocking gusts...) (some days ya just hafta love sailing.) (and then someone took my bicycle. )