Raymarine ST4000+ Seatalk Fail message

May 6, 2019
Catalina 310 0063 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
I just took our boat out for the first time this season and the auto helm control head displays STLK FAIL. The instruments are located in the original gen 1 NAVPOD. I assume the sea talk wires are located there but I dont know how to access them. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am looking for the location of the control head. As an aside, I just installed new solar panels and a new alternator and I am concerned that I pulled a wire somewhere. All thoughts and comments are welcome. Thanks!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Could be something as simple as there is a second breaker/switch that needs to be turned? Auto Helm on one breaker, SeaTalkng network on another breaker?

May 6, 2019
Could be something as simple as there is a second breaker/switch that needs to be turned? Auto Helm on one breaker, SeaTalkng network on another breaker?
Thanks! I’ll check it out today. Some of the wiring connections were moved as part of the upgrade and I think something may have pulled lose or lost a ground. I don’t know how to open the navpod at the helm. Not as obvious as the new generation. I’m also looking for where the control head might be installed if you have insight on that I’d appreciate any advice lol.

May 6, 2019
Btw is your 310 Sun Dog? Ours hull 63 is Sundog lol

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I had the same problem and tried every thing I found on the net with no luck. Replaced the AP with the EV 100 system, but did not use the Seatalk ng converter for the other Seatalk 2 instruments as I planed to replace them at a later date.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Btw is your 310 Sun Dog? Ours hull 63 is Sundog lol
I have a C30 but close enough!

Not sure about SeaTalk but SeaTalkng requires a lower amp breaker or fuse than the AP. On at least three boats I know of there is one breaker for the network and one for the AP. If they are not well marked a newer owner may forget both need to be turned on for the systems to work. All three owners have forgotten at least once that both breakers need to be turned on for it to all work.
Yep, one of them was me:facepalm:

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Some Raymarine APs are able to provide power to the STng backbone, but not all of them, so having two breakers for the AP and other instruments is very possible.

May 6, 2019
Thanks for all the replies. I have become more familiar with the wiring and will be tracing through. Thanks to MaineSail for the great pictures on his site for the inside of the Navpod! (In his Sea Talk 1 upgrade article). I am also now familiar with tamper resistant torx bolts lol so opening the pod is no longer magic lol. Thanks again for the great support from everyone.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
ST4000+ control head is integral with the interface on the Navpod. It's a small unit. Newer autopilots have a separate, larger CPU. Depending on your other instruments, if same vintage, you likely have only SeaTalk, NOT ng. First thing to check is power. Do your other instruments work OK? Autopilot and Instruments are most likely on two circuits.

May 6, 2019
Thanks all. Quick update. New EV100 installed with seatalk to seatalkNG converter. All old instruments working well with new control head. Problem solved. Thanks to all who provided info.