Raymarine ST4000+ Autohelm dead again - Need help!

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
FYI Guys, the Dan in Colorado that has been "fixing" these for some time (and also fixed mine last year) not only couldn't fix my unit and wanted $45 to send my unfixable unit back, but he no longer takes digital payments. He is making me mail him a paper check.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
FYI Guys, the Dan in Colorado that has been "fixing" these for some time (and also fixed mine last year) not only couldn't fix my unit and wanted $45 to send my unfixable unit back, but he no longer takes digital payments. He is making me mail him a paper check.
Do you have an email or phone number for him?
Maybe he can sell me this $@&#*$(@. Collar nut:)

Greg

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
wanted $45 to send my unfixable unit back, but he no longer takes digital payments. He is making me mail him a paper check.

I would expect that this more of a reflection of how some customers have treated him, than the man himself.
Once bitten twice shy.

You could drive over and pick up the unit yourself.

Gary

Jun 2, 2014
wanted $45 to send my unfixable unit back, but he no longer takes digital payments. He is making me mail him a paper check.

I would expect that this more of a reflection of how some customers have treated him, than the man himself.
Once bitten twice shy.

You could drive over and pick up the unit yourself.

Gary
I suspect it's something else. Venmo/Paypal/Zelle are all standard payments methods that are much more reliable than a paper check.
I can just as easily bounce or stop payment of a check.

I suspect it's something else, but I won't accuse here.

Jun 2, 2014
Do you have an email or phone number for him?
Maybe he can sell me this $@&#*$(@. Collar nut:)

Greg
Greg, I don't gather that he sells or fixes parts like that, just electronics I think. But his email is no secret. I've never seen a phone number for him. C250@mydurango.net
His name is Dan.

Have you called Raymarine tech support yet? Seriously, they will answer the phone and you can ask them for the specific part number of the collar nut. Maybe they sell just a replacement part. It's still current.

Jan 7, 2011
Greg, I don't gather that he sells or fixes parts like that, just electronics I think. But his email is no secret. I've never seen a phone number for him. C250@mydurango.net
His name is Dan.

Have you called Raymarine tech support yet? Seriously, they will answer the phone and you can ask them for the specific part number of the collar nut. Maybe they sell just a replacement part. It's still current.
Ok. Thanks. i ordered the kit that includes the collar from Defender. Figured the wire loom and other parts may come in handy trying to keep this old girl working!

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
I thought I would update my problem (or better said “fix”).

I was preparing to remove my ST4000+ control head, taking pictures of all of the wires, etc. I played around with the connection to the motor unit, while hitting +10 / -10 ...and at one point, the motor fired up. I pulled the motor unit and found a wire that had broke, and occasionally it would make contact and fire the motor.

I ordered a new wire loom and parts from Defender. Used their “Sure Post” delivery, which is a combination of UPS and USPS. Parts made it from CT to Hammond, IN (about 10 miles from my house) in 2 days. UPS turned the package over to the USPS. 5 days later and USPS still hasn’t even acknowledged that they have the package. don’t get me started on mail in voting for the election.

Any way, as I looked at the broken wire, which is crimped into a pin, I thought I would try to solder a new wire onto the pin, and then Solder the old wire and the new wire together. This was required because the wires were too short to do much with. I soldered it up, and took the AP motor to the boat tonight, hooked it up, and wala! Auto pilot back in business!

I will use the new parts if they ever get here to do a little better job, but it is functional!

by the way, I mentioned my AP motor was missing the collar nut when I bought the boat 6 years ago. That caused some flexing in the connection, which finally caused the failure ...

Greg