Raymarine ST4000+ Autohelm dead again - Need help!

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
My ST4000+ head unit died again and my repair guy doesn't think it's repairable.
Does anyone know of any alternative solutions for the MK2 wheel drive w/fluxgate compass? What else works? I can't seem to find any used ST4000 units out there. Do any and all of the "ST" models work with that?

The only other "new" option is to buy the EV100 pack for $1000 using the same wheel drive.
I have other things I need to spend $1000 on before a new autohelm, so any other solutions welcome.

Comment

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
2 years ago I had a problem with my ST-60 windmeter. Here a copy of what I posted then:
Feb 24, 2018
''Just a quick note for all of you guys that have been told by Raymarine that the instrument is ''obsolete and we not longer have parts. You can order our new model # XYZ at any of our dealers''. Generally followed by a link to their web site where you will see the suggested instrument and its price. Being frugal and not wanting to spend over $1,000 for a new wind meter, I did a lot of digging on the internet and was lucky enough to find a wonderful technician who not only helped me diagnose the problem, but accepted to take it in, test it, and after finding probable cause for the problem, suggested a reasonably priced solution which I accepted.
The service was absolutely great, with emails back quickly and instrument sent back after a few days. And all this as I said at a much lower price than a new unit.
His name is Dan Gerhardt and you can reach him at C250@mydurango.net. I got is OK to post the address and no I'm not related, just a satisfied customer.''
Don't know if he is still in business but it's definitely worth a try. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jun 2, 2014
Is this what you need?
RAYMARINE ST4000+ MkII Wheel Drive Unit | West Marine

I have a ST6000+ Rotary drive that all parts are available still
Jim...
No, I have a fully working, rebuilt wheel drive already. It's the head unit/computer that is dead. I don't know what a Rotary drive is, do you mean the wheel? I need a head unit/computer that works with the MK2 (Grey) wheel drive and the Fluxgate compass.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It's the head unit/computer that is dead.
Ouch, that is circuit board, etc.
I have the Service manual for the ST6000 course computer, very complex and early 2000 type components.

Rotary drives are basically chain/sprocket drives versus piston types for tillers.
Jim...

Jun 2, 2014
PS: Found a service that fixed circuit boards on the web, a few years ago.
I've already sent it to a repair guy that everyone apparently knows about, Dan in Colorado. He's already tried replacing some stuff and telling me it's still not working. I'm thinking I will need to either find another one, or a used kit of a DisplayUnit+Computer that can still work with my compass and wheel. The wheel drive I have is already of the new one they still use with the new models.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I will dig around and see if I can find it. I have an ST4000 head. It worked when I took it off but then again that was several years ago and it has been sitting in my attic. If I can find it, if you'll pay the shipping I'll send it to you and you can see if it works, then we can talk price. pm me if you want to try it and in the mean time I'll look for it.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
What is he saying isn’t repairable? My ST3000 had a broken ribbon cable for the fluxgate and I replaced the part with a new one for $150’ish. Seems like I’m seeing the 4000 models on EBay all the time

Jun 2, 2014
Seems like I’m seeing the 4000 models on EBay all the time
I wish that was the case, but all the listings I find are for LCD screen repairs, nothing with a unit for sale.
The guy that has it has already replaced some internal electronic parts but says so far it is not working still.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My St4000+ is on the fritz right now...it goes into ”Auto” mode, but the wheel motor never moves. I am out of town now, so will be trouble shooting it when back home. But the original question is a good one...no one has answered it yet....

Will an ST5000 or ST6000 control head be a direct replacement for the ST4000?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Greg

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I think I have an ST 6000 on mine I'll have to check, I think compatible control heads will have connections for wheel drive, 2 Seatalk and NMEA 0183 on the back.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My ST4000+ head unit died again and my repair guy doesn't think it's repairable.
Does anyone know of any alternative solutions for the MK2 wheel drive w/fluxgate compass? What else works? I can't seem to find any used ST4000 units out there. Do any and all of the "ST" models work with that?

The only other "new" option is to buy the EV100 pack for $1000 using the same wheel drive.
I have other things I need to spend $1000 on before a new autohelm, so any other solutions welcome.

Comment
We had an ST4000. It failed several times. The final straw was the constant and repeated LOW BAT msg that was immediately followed by a disconnect... Not only were the batteries new, but the engine was running. The solution was easy. Had already purchased an e-7 chart plotter MFD. The EV100 interfaced perfectly. A goto is as simple as touching the screen ( touch screen) and toggling the GOTO tab in automatic drop down box.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I will dig around and see if I can find it. I have an ST4000 head. It worked when I took it off but then again that was several years ago and it has been sitting in my attic. If I can find it, if you'll pay the shipping I'll send it to you and you can see if it works, then we can talk price. pm me if you want to try it and in the mean time I'll look for it.
Well, I did dig around and found the wind display, depth display, speed display plus a mulit display but no ST4000 head. I seem to recall that I sold the ST4000 head some time back.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Removed an St4000+ from my boat a few months ago and replaced with ev-100. Let me know if you’re interested.

Jun 2, 2014
Removed an St4000+ from my boat a few months ago and replaced with ev-100. Let me know if you’re interested.
Yes. I am interested. Just sent you a message. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So I played around with my AP today, preparing to pull the control head off and see if I could Find some broken solder joints or something. I was taking pictures of the wires and moving things around, and moved the wire connected to the wheel motor. Boom...the AP worked. I held the wire to the motor and hit the +10 and the wheel moved...-10 and it moved back. After looking at the wheel motor, wiring, etc. I see I am missing a “collar nut” that holds the connector coming out of the motor... See “collar nut” below.

does anyone know the specs on this nut? I assume it is plastic, but not sure of the Size or thread.
I can buy the kit below from Defender, but all I really need is the @&@*)&: nut.
F59DD01E-D542-492A-AE00-6A8CB4468085.jpeg

Greg

Jun 2, 2014
I hear ya. That connector just pushes in and does a little lock maneuver, but you need the collar to keep it on. Not sure how to determine the thread/pitch of that collar.