Raymarine ST2000 Issues

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Yesterday was my 2nd sail of the season and the first of a week long vacation of long day sails. Of course, the auto tiller pilot chose to fail during this sail. It wasn't holding course well, would get a lot of chatter when the rod retracted and it seemed to have a lot of end play.
I opened it up with the hope that I could fix it but it looks like the end bearing for the screw had a retainer holding it in place. The retainer is in pieces and the excessive end play, about 1/4" or more, is the bearing moving in it's holder allowing the drive belt pulley to get out of alignment. Probably the cause for the chattering.
IMG_4119.jpg

Having a hard time pinning down the warranty period and I probably didn't register it when I bought it.
Anyone have any experience with ease and speed of a Raymarine warranty?
Am I wimping out deciding to just bit the bullet and buying a new one today so I can enjoy my sailing vacation and if I can get this fixed for no or reasonable cost keeping it as a back up or just go back to a tiller clutch for the duration. Tiller clutches work well but not as well as the TP in stronger winds and chop.

Aug 4, 2019
grampian 26 montreal
Hi Ward
I have exactly the same problem with same broken pieces. Did you figure out how to fix it?

Yesterday was my 2nd sail of the season and the first of a week long vacation of long day sails. Of course, the auto tiller pilot chose to fail during this sail. It wasn't holding course well, would get a lot of chatter when the rod retracted and it seemed to have a lot of end play.
I opened it up with the hope that I could fix it but it looks like the end bearing for the screw had a retainer holding it in place. The retainer is in pieces and the excessive end play, about 1/4" or more, is the bearing moving in it's holder allowing the drive belt pulley to get out of alignment. Probably the cause for the chattering.
View attachment 124322

Having a hard time pinning down the warranty period and I probably didn't register it when I bought it.
Anyone have any experience with ease and speed of a Raymarine warranty?
Am I wimping out deciding to just bit the bullet and buying a new one today so I can enjoy my sailing vacation and if I can get this fixed for no or reasonable cost keeping it as a back up or just go back to a tiller clutch for the duration. Tiller clutches work well but not as well as the TP in stronger winds and chop.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Actually had two more weeks under warranty so they fixed it under warranty and turned it around in 3 weeks.
I did buy a new one and then used the repaired one. New one was kept as spare. I sold it after I sold the boat.

Aug 4, 2019
grampian 26 montreal
Actually had two more weeks under warranty so they fixed it under warranty and turned it around in 3 weeks.
I did buy a new one and then used the repaired one. New one was kept as spare. I sold it after I sold the boat.

Aug 4, 2019
grampian 26 montreal
Unfortunately the only part I need is the gasket pictured on Ward's post. It is not included in the gear kit. Thanks for the manual!

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Any chance that you have enough pieces of it left there to do up a drawing and maybe get it 3D printed?