Raymarine radar / Chart plotter removal

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all....

So just purchased an ais (Garmin 800), a new radar (Garmin) and will be installing my 7607 chart plotter (Garmin). I am just gathering components, setting up NMEA 2000 network etc. my current setup is 2005 vintage raymarine. When I remove the chartplotters (one at helm and on at nav station And many wires), are there any components that will affect my autopilot or is the auto pilot independent as in having its own Gps antenna etc. the auto pilot does have its own breaker on panel so I know it’s not powered by seatalk network.
thanks! Like I said in the exploration period and will be diving down again to follow wires but just thought I would ask.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Minimally, the AP brains will need heading information from a dedicated fluxgate compass or a gps. It will also need a controller, something that will interface with the AP computer. Because of the current draw, the AP can not get its power from the network.

While the AP may be able to get NMEA 2000 or 0183 data from the Garmin, it will need a bridge to go from Raymarine to NMEA 2000.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I would be inclined to believe that the autopilot would have to be dependent on the gps in the chart plotter.
The only other way that I would think it might get its gps data is if you still had the old Raymarine RS120 or RS125 gps antenna wired into the remnants of the old Seatalk network and operating as an independent system.
Others may have a better approach

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The only other way that I would think it might get its gps data is if you still had the old Raymarine RS120 or RS125 gps antenna
Ray chartplotters of that vintage (C series and previous models) used “hockey puck” external raystar ( 120/125) GPS antennas. They were usually rail mounted or deck mounted so the signal was not attenuated. Most new plotters have built in gps antennas.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Raymaine autopilots of that vintage, and current vintage, too, do not use a gps at all. They use either an external fluxgate compass and an internal rate gyro, or an integrated compass and gyro.

The only integration points you might want to consider are if you want the AP to "go to" a waypoint on the chartplotter, and if you want to steer to wind, if your wind instruments are on the network, too.

SeatalkNG to NMEA2000 is easy. Seatalk I and II to to NMEA2000 requires a bridge.

(I have a mostly B&G NMEA2000 network with Raymarine Wind/Speed/Depth, and everything is connected together. I had a couple of Raymarine pilots, one older generation, an S2G, and one current generation, and neither required a plotter or GPS connection to operate.)

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Thank you all......

it’s amazing just how many wires are getting taken out and replaced by 1........ I am going to dig next weekend and slowly disconnect so I know what is what. First thing I want is the newGarmin stuff to be up and running then will connect / replace the others.

again thanks as always!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
NYSail. Take picture of what you are disconnecting and where you find the wires. You may need the images to decipher how to connect the your new hardware to the remaining boat systems. If not needed you just discard the images. Having the images and resolving confusion "priceless".

New electronics is always fun "bling" for your boat. Just practice with the new stuff (including the radar) a lot of times in clear air. You do not want to get into fog and have to open the radar manual for the first time. I suspect the new features on the new radar will be very helpful. Radar is all about interpreting the signals you are receiving. This is best done for the first time when the air is clear, bright and sunny.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would be inclined to believe that the autopilot would have to be dependent on the gps
That is a reasonable assumption. But as Jviss shares, the AP is not doing anything with the location of your boat. The AP is following a compass bearing that you tell it to follow. Think Captain giving directions to a Crew member at the helm. "Helm, steer bearing 310. Aye aye Captain, 310."

Now your chart plotter does want the GPS location. The computer inside then locates your position on the sea and displays it on the map overlay buried in the data mind of the plotter. The AP talks to the plotter telling it the direction of travel. The plotter may talk back to the AP telling the helm it is drifting due to not following the plotted track (think a current pushing the boat off course). The Plotter serving as your navigator tells the AP to correct it's course bearing to maybe 300. This adjustment will put the boat back on the Captains declared track of 310, adjusted for the water currents.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Have the wires run and radome up...... so much fun running wires! Also ran a NMEA 2000 network for my new ais. And yes taking many photos. I slowly disconnected the old radar one wire at a time just to see if there was any cross over with other instruments.... all good. Now just have to get the raymarine wind and speed to talk with my Garmin chart plotter. Doing the final connections Friday and will keep the radar on even when at anchor so I can learn to identify targets. Saw a friends radar..... so much different than my 2005 radar.

again thanks for all the input!

greg