Raymarine Nav issues on 2009 B31

Sep 2, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Wilson Harbor, Wilson, NY
Heading suddenly went out about 90 deg to east on Raymarine nav setup. [C80 Display, ST60+ Wind, ST6002 SmartPilot.] My first instinct is that there is something interfering with the compass. I can't find the compass. Second, when I engage the autopilot, the error code "NO COMP" pops up on the autopilot screen. GPS knows where the boat is & GOG & SOG are good. Any help is appreciated.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Your Fluxgate compass has a bad connection or is shot .If you have a rear bed sometimes installed under it ,sometimes a label
New systems have eliminated the compass , you will see the hook up at course computer, follow the wires.If it is shot check out ebay can find cheap

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I know I upgraded and installed the 9 axis sensor, they have eliminated the stand alone fluxgate compass , which is mechanical and analogue and the system is far better, and it also uses GPS

Feb 10, 2015
Beneteau 343 Vancouver
I can't find the compass.
On our 2008 343 the fluxgate compass is in the portside locker in the rear cabin, a strange location I think, but it seems to work OK. If you haven't found yours yet, try looking there.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
On our 2008 343 the fluxgate compass is in the portside locker in the rear cabin, a strange location I think, but it seems to work OK. If you haven't found yours yet, try looking there.
The fluxgate compass on my 323 is located in the same place. It goes bonkers if somebody hangs something in there on a metal hanger.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
The fluxgate compass on my 2009 B31 is in the starboard (tribord) locker... Between the two "bins" under the settee. If there are any metal cans within 50cm of that area it can go crazy... Also check the connections as earlier stated.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Was sailing on a friend's boat and the autopilot kept going crazy--90 degrees and more out of whack. I looked to see if any metal was near the fluxgate and all looked good. Still kept happening. The problem turned out to be the metal frame in one of those folding seats...it was situated in the cockpit but in a spot that happened to be right above the fluxgate.

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
Find the fluxgate compass and make sure there's no ferrous metal near it. T'hose newer, three dimensional digital compases are still fluxgate compasses, just much more sensitive, Keep magnetic metals away. COG & SOG are GPS signals. Less sensitive and of less interest to AP than heading, boat speed, apparent wind, ect.
Also try re-running the compass calibration. That will fail if the compass has failed. Then check the wiring, more likely a wiring failure than a compass failure.

Sep 2, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Wilson Harbor, Wilson, NY
Thanks Guys,
Measured resistance between conductors, all out of spec. Opened compass case, unplugged & re-inserted ribbon connecting
gimbal to edge connector leading to wires. Everything came back to life. Absolutely no signs of corrosion, moisture or dirt
but a poor connection none the less.