Raymarine Evolution Wheel Pilot Set Up & Commissioning

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Finally have installed an upgraded auto pilot from Ray St4000+ to Ray Evolution wheel pilot.
The new components include an ACU 100 computer, Ev-1 sensor/compass, and P70Rs control head/instrument. I am using my previous installed rudder reference transducer. I am not certain that the rudder transducer is operational. The rudder transducer is not listed in the P70Rs list of components display, should it be? When scrolling thru the "dockside setup wizard" menu, there is no selection for setup with a rudder transducer, should there be? Finally, in the "standby mode", there is no graphical indication that the rudder is moving; however, when in the "autopilot" mode the graphical indication of the rudder is present. Not sure if the computer is calculating the approximate rudder position or if it is deriving data from the rudder transducer. Anyone with a similar setup have any answers?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have the same and I am not using a rudder reference and things still work great. I had the previous pilot and did not use the RR on that one either. Is there an input on the computer for such? All my manuals are on the boat...

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Finally, in the "standby mode", there is no graphical indication that the rudder is moving; however, when in the "autopilot" mode the graphical indication of the rudder is present. Not sure if the computer is calculating the approximate rudder position or if it is deriving data from the rudder transducer. Anyone with a similar setup have any answers?
I have the EV-100 system w/o a RR. There is no indication of a rudder when on autopilot which leads me to think your unit sees the RR.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Mark,
Yes, there is an input/screw terminal connection on the ACU 100 computer for the rudder reference unit. Puzzling thing is that is not listed on the display of components (including model, serial no., and software version) on the P70Rs control head. However, all of the components (ACU, EV1, & P70Rs) are part of the backbone; the rudder transducer is not attached directly to the backbone as are the other components. The rudder transducer is only attached to the ACU

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have the EV-100 system w/o a RR. There is no indication of a rudder when on autopilot which leads me to think your unit sees the RR.
So, you don't have a horizontal graph at the top of the P70 that shows the rudder position, even when in "Auto" mode?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
o, you don't have a horizontal graph at the top of the P70 that shows the rudder position, even when in "Auto" mode?
That would be correct on my boat. I have the same EV-100 installed no Rudder Reference. If you wired the reference to the ACU, then the ACU is putting the data into the SeatalkNG system (your backbone). You should be able to test by setting the course in auto, removing the friction lever on the wheel and turning the wheel. It should show a change as to the rudder angle, even sitting still at the dock.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
You should be able to test by setting the course in auto, removing the friction lever on the wheel and turning the wheel. It should show a change as to the rudder angle, even sitting still at the dock.
Thanks John, your suggestion makes sense. Will certainly try that.
Yes, the rudder reference wiring is connected directly to ACU, not the back bone.
Plan to call Raymarine in AM, because I am not getting any option to select or deselect presence of a rudder transducer during dockside
commissioning. May have to do a factory reset and try again; however, will obtain guidance from Raymarine prior to doing reset.

Also, while dockside with the auto pilot engaged, if I press a 10 degree course change on the P70 control head, the wheel turns as appropriate; however, at some point it will jump intermittently instead of operating smoothly. Yes, the wheel brake is off. Is this a normal characteristic of the wheel pilot, belt tension issue, or abnormal operation?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I think this would be normal as the boat is not physically turning and no new compass heading info is supplied to ACU.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
So, you don't have a horizontal graph at the top of the P70 that shows the rudder position, even when in "Auto" mode?
Not that I recall ever seeing. You might ask the Raymarine support forum to get a real answer.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Look at your document titled "Evolution auto pilot set-up and commissioning with P70/ P70R". There are 2 different set-up procedures listed depending on whether you are using a rudder sensor or not. I'm guessing the unit auto detects whether you have the sensor plugged in, but you still have to do a rudder alignment and rudder limit setting.

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Thanks John, your suggestion makes sense. Will certainly try that.
Yes, the rudder reference wiring is connected directly to ACU, not the back bone.
Plan to call Raymarine in AM, because I am not getting any option to select or deselect presence of a rudder transducer during dockside
commissioning. May have to do a factory reset and try again; however, will obtain guidance from Raymarine prior to doing reset.

Also, while dockside with the auto pilot engaged, if I press a 10 degree course change on the P70 control head, the wheel turns as appropriate; however, at some point it will jump intermittently instead of operating smoothly. Yes, the wheel brake is off. Is this a normal characteristic of the wheel pilot, belt tension issue, or abnormal operation?
This is a test I did to show the st60+ rudder display would work using SeaTalkng converter kit. You can see the P70 in standby mode while I turn the rudder trans left to right you see both displays show the direction of the rudder angle. The rudder reference is connected to the acu.
Bub

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Bub,
What software version do you have on the P70? I have version 3.08.
Still not sure that mine is working correctly. Ray support wasn't much help, she appeared to be reading from a written dialogue & I got the impression that she wasn't thoroughly familiar with the instrument and setup. Still can not get a window to set rudder alignment and port/stbd stops. Only get a window with 30degree default option on rudder stops.
Apparently the ACU and P70 is detecting presence of the rudder transducer because I have a graphical display that shows rudder movement when in "Auto" mode and inputting a 10degree course change dockside. I plan to complete commissioning underway, in a day or two. Will see how it works underway.
I don't plan on using the auto pilot using pre-programed routes / waypoints from the chart plotter. Going to use it in a "point & go"
mode. So, as long as the ACU & P70 are detecting feedback from the rudder transducer while underway, I am satisfied. May also call Ray support again and possibly talk to a different rep.

John,
I got a negative test with your recommendation to place in auto mode and disengage the clutch. I was able to download a rudder reference test from Ray to measure resistance between the various wiring groups to determine if the thing is operating normally. Will do that test before I take the boat out to commission.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Bub,
What software version do you have on the P70? I have version 3.08.
Still not sure that mine is working correctly. Ray support wasn't much help, she appeared to be reading from a written dialogue & I got the impression that she wasn't thoroughly familiar with the instrument and setup. Still can not get a window to set rudder alignment and port/stbd stops. Only get a window with 30degree default option on rudder stops.
Apparently the ACU and P70 is detecting presence of the rudder transducer because I have a graphical display that shows rudder movement when in "Auto" mode. I plan to complete commissioning underway, in a day or two. Will see how it works underway.
I don't plan on using the auto pilot using pre-programed routes / waypoints from the chart plotter. Going to use it in a "point & go"
mode. So, as long as the ACU & P70 are detecting feedback from the rudder transducer while underway, I am satisfied. May also call Ray support again and possibly talk to a different rep.
Not sure what software version and I won't be back by the boat until Thursday, I could check then if that will help.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@BigEasy the Ray tech’s I spoke with were in England. I believe the fellows name was John. His partner with more youthful experience I think was Devon. I asked to be connected to a senior tech. The call center on the east coast made the phone ring in England. These two guys were very knowledgable. They helped concur with my problem solving of the wheel pilot where the belt jammed and would not release the wheel. They could not resolve the issue, but the info was valuable when I took the unit apart and rebuilt the tensioner.

Good luck. I’ll look at the manual again tonight and se if there is anything I can see regarding the rudder Reference And the P70.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
@BigEasy the Ray tech’s I spoke with were in England. I believe the fellows name was John. His partner with more youthful experience I think was Devon. I asked to be connected to a senior tech. The call center on the east coast made the phone ring in England.
Thanks John,
I called the USA number yesterday. Will try again tomorrow and request a senior tech.