Raymarine EV100 installation on Hunter 37.5

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sarah Creek, Gloucester, VA
Leaving aside the issues of connecting the Evo 100 to existing Seatalk/NMEA instruments, and speaking merely as somebody who wished to replace a dead ST4000+ to enable an unattended, dead-ahead course at the push of a button, I decided to forget the Evo 100 and install a repaired ST4000+ control head. There's a great eBay vendor (kodiakjack99) who sells these, and gives a discount for trade-ins.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great for you Brian. I do like the new design for it's simplicity at configuring and linerization. Nothing like the older version.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
So to bring this full circle, I installed the ACU unit in the starboard locker against the fwd bulkhead, and the EV1 in the same place in the port locker to get separation from the batteries and main switch. I'll post pictures this weekend.

I'm impressed by how well the unit keeps course. We left for our first sail of the year last Friday in 20 something knot winds, broad reaching over to the Chesapeake eastern shore. Our last autopilots had a hard time keeping course on a broad reach in any sea, but this one managed quite well in short steep following waves. I'm impressed.

I have a rudder reference unit to add, but that job is on the back burner.

Paul

Oct 22, 2014
Paul
What power system did you select. The wheel motor or the hydraulic motor?

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Finally pictures of the installation. The head unit is not in the best place, but that is where the old ST-4000 head unit was, so easy replacement. Later I'll get it to the wheel.

...and I know about the mildew. You wouldn't believe it, but I spent several hours cleaning the lockers before installing the system. At the time my local West Marine was out of the mildew remover spray, but I have plenty now.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
Looks solid. Have you tried it out?
I discovered a little issue with mine. The system worked flawlessly. Easy to calibrate. Holds a straighter line then my wife... :yikes:. I did not say that.... :p
The set up meant the wheel motor is near the binnacle compass. Now the compass is off by 100 degrees when the motor is trying to steer the boat.

Guess I'll be looking for a new compass.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Our compass is fine. In fact after making a slow turn for the self calibration, the compass and head unit agree within degrees.

Sep 24, 2017
Hunter 380 Alameda
Hi:
I'm happy to hear the EV100 is working well. I just purchased a 380 which is the same boat as yours however have been told that the EV100 is to lightweight for the displacement on my boat which is dry weight 16200, what is your thoughts, because they are raking me over the coals to put in a linear drive unit that doesn't fit because of spacing.

Thanks,

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
the EV100 does not have the ability to support higher amp draws. You can check the specs on the various drive types at ray Marine. Once you settle on a drive type (will it fit and is it strong enough to steer the boat in worst case conditions) you are pretty much locked into which EV you have to purchase. If you redefine the worst case you may be able to get by with an EV100 but you will have to be at the helm when you exceed worse case.

Oct 22, 2014
First Welcome to the forum Tucson.
My boat is 15K displacement at the dock (your Hunter 380 is listed at 16K). If I fully load the boat with fuel water and cruising stuff (like food and people) a conservative guess it is somewhere about 19.5K (with 160 gallons of diesel and 100 gallons of water that is 2,000 pounds alone).

So fully loaded (which I have not yet tried) the boat is over the suggested threshold of the EV100 autopilot. That said I do not plan to use the EV100 in 30 knot winds and following seas, as I believe even at a 11,000 displacement the EV100 would be over taxed trying to maintain course in those conditions.

I have it aboard to handle the mild conditions, primarily motoring, while solo handling the boat. I have a (yet to be installed) Monitor Windvane to handle open water sailing and heavy weather conditions. Alternatively I will be at the helm till the weather improves or I hove-to.

I have found that when the sails are balanced and the wind is 15-18 knots the autopilot is able to handle the boat when sailing at about 50 to 130 degrees off the wind. When under engine power I can set the heading and tend to the sails while the auto pilot steers into the wind. It is a crew member at the helm following the directions I give it. With a remote and moderate conditions I believe I can control boat direction and slow motor up to an anchor and raise the anchor. Would want to have adequate space to allow for mistakes.

I feel the weak point of the EV100 system is the wheel belt and the belt motor system as the size and displacement of your boat gets bigger. That is why the linear systems are suggested/recommended.

But it may also be that how you plan to use the system and acceptance that the system has limitations may make it a fit in your situation.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
A few thoughts.

The EV100 will drive a boat slightly larger than the documentation says, but not for very long. Eventually the wheel drive will fail.

I would urge anyone doing this to consider is installing the EV-200 Sail Core Pack PN: T70155 and order the wheel drive separately. I think the part # for the wheel drive is E12093. The EV-200 Core Pack contains the ACU-200, EV-100, P-70 control head & wiring.

Doing this creates a system that sets you up for a future rotary or linear drive upgrade. The ACU-100 does not have a clutch drive (Raymarine is smart) but the ACU-200 does making your custom wheel pilot ready for a future upgrade to a below deck drive. If you don't do it this way when the wheel drive fails you'll need an ACU-200 plus the below deck drive...

Nov 5, 2020
Hunter Legend 35.5 port charlotte
Finally pictures of the installation. The head unit is not in the best place, but that is where the old ST-4000 head unit was, so easy replacement. Later I'll get it to the wheel.

...and I know about the mildew. You wouldn't believe it, but I spent several hours cleaning the lockers before installing the system. At the time my local West Marine was out of the mildew remover spray, but I have plenty now.
So I’m about to install mine. Same boat as u. I noticed u put nearly everything compactly together. I assume the ACU is directly battery mounted and not thru the breaker box? Some part of me feels I should be putting it thru there. Maybe to make sure it’s not drawing battery current. How is this setup working for u? Does it work well? Any problems with making too many adjustments? Have u per chance installed a rudder reference unit since this post?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I assume the ACU is directly battery mounted and not thru the breaker box? Some part of me feels I should be putting it thru there. Maybe to make sure it
My entire autopilot an EV100, and all my electronics run through the dc panel. That would be the entire N2K network, the VHF, the chart plotter and the ACU. That way I can turn off the entire electronics package, or turn off individual parts at the instrument. No way I hook up my ACU directly to a battery!

Oct 22, 2014
I assume the ACU is directly battery mounted
Not the way to do it.

Install the ACU through the panel or with an On/Off switch if no panel. You want to be able to turn the AP on or off.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
So I’m about to install mine. Same boat as u. I noticed u put nearly everything compactly together. I assume the ACU is directly battery mounted and not thru the breaker box? Some part of me feels I should be putting it thru there. Maybe to make sure it’s not drawing battery current. How is this setup working for u? Does it work well? Any problems with making too many adjustments? Have u per chance installed a rudder reference unit since this post?
It was too difficult to get wires back to the chart table panel, so I added a fuse box on the aft bulkhead of the locker (see photo). The system required two different fuse sizes, maybe one for the control unit and one for the motor. Relatively easy to turn on and off since the locker is right next to the wheel.

It works well enough. It really doesn't like broad reaches - it is better at them than the old system, but not by much. Otherwise it is fine. I can tell in big waves it cannot adjust quickly enough. The wind instrument is not linked yet, so I can't talk about that. A friend said the rudder reference would help, but I haven't added it yet. All in all I am pleased with how the undersized autopilot works.

Attachments