raymarine autopilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
it appears the control head for my raymarine st4000 autopilot has died, at least there is something like a dark bubble on the screen, and said screen does not light up any more. the unit is discontinued and all effforts to locate a source for a control head have come to naught. everything else - the wheel mechanism, the compass and all the wiring seem ok. any advice?

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
thanks, there is in fact one listed, but it appears quite different from mine. why do you think it might work?

Jul 15, 2012
Catalina 28 mk1 Hamble River UK
If you e-mail Raymarine UK, who I have found of great help in the past when looking for tech spec on ST50 display units.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
thaks, i have. it seems that raymarine no longer has that nail so the horseshoe is lost, etc.....

Oct 18, 2011
Watkins 27 Port Charlotte, FL
This guy has parts and can repair oldre Raymarine autopilots. He just repaired and tested my ST3000 control head late last week (although I have not received it back yet).

Oliver Midgette
Trident Marine Electronics Inc
Norfolk, VA
www.tridentmarineelectronics.com

Aug 25, 2010
Catalina 30 Seabrook, TX
Check Boaters Resale Shops

I have a 1984 Catalina 30 with the same ST 4000 unit. I also lost the control head and found one at a local boating resale shop. Just a few dollars and has been working great since. Check on line at these resale shops, you might get lucky as I did.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Do y'all find that the Raymarine series of autopilots actually work, that is when the head units are not malfunctioning? We used to have an autopilot on our O'Day 34 & that thing never worked right. Ours wasn't a Raymarine. I think it was made by Edson.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
if you mean does it keep me going in a straight line in clam water, yes. if you mean anything beyond that, no. if you mean does raymarine customer service just repeat 'that product is discontinued and parts are no longer available, certainly. dave your money unless you only sail in straight lines in calm water.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
trident marine, the repair facilty, informs that my cohtrol head died due to the incursion of 'copious' amounts of fresh water apparently through the face, since the navtech housing it was in remained dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.