RayMarine Autohelm on Hunter 33 1981

Shiloh

Sep 14, 2020
Hunter 33 Cherubini Leeward Marina, Newport News,
Has anyone been able to find room to install a Linear Drive in the stern area on a 1981 Hunter 33?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Since the "above deck" variety auto pilot is more likely to fail over time,
I'd like to know if a below deck system is possible as well.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Below deck system also fail...........and they are very expensive to replace. I had a clutch fail on a below deck hydraulic linear drive atfer 11 years. Had to replace the entire unit for $2500 and plus a couple times that amount for labor to replace it and install new custom hyraulic lines.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The wheel based pilot will function to handle your boat based on size and displacement in Medium sea states both sailing and under auxiliary power.

I have one and the only time it has hiccuped and needed manual help at the helm was in a 4+ foot following sea.

The wheel pilot cost 1200 to 1500. You can find replacement parts.

I just refurbished my EV100 Raymarine AP that uses the Mk2 Autohelm wheel. cost less than $100.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest downloading the installation manual (with dimensions) for the specific below deck linear (rotary or hydraulic) drive autopilot you would like to install below deck. Then access the rudder post below the cockpit. Then determine whether there is room to install either a hydraulic or rotary drive (see typical Raymarine dimensions below). Please let us know what you found out.

Left photo is a 1981 Hunter 33 cockpit with steering wheel. The right photo is a Raymarine hydraulic linear drive attached to the rudder post (under the cockpit aft of the pedestal accessed by a removable panel) with stainless steel braided hydraulic lines from aft lazarette hydraulic reservior and pump on a Hunter 386 just to give you an idea of the space requirements.

Raymarine hydraulic drive dimensions are ~24" long x 5" x 5" + hydraulic reservoir and pump installation instructions attached.
Raymarine rotary drive drive dimensions are ~11" x 8" x 8" Raymarine ROTARY DRIVE Manual (manualmachine.com)
1660594355738.png

Attachments

Last edited: