Raw Water Pump Failure

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Five years ago, I replaced a leaking Shurwood raw water pump (300 hours) with an Obferdorfer N202M-908 pump on my Universal M-25 XPB engine. With just 200 hours of run time the Obferdorfer is now dripping through the weep holes at idle, and getting a steady drip when the throttle is pushed up. A new Oferdorfer is $410. A major rebuild is just under $300.

Any opinions on which way to go?
Why would the pump fail with just 200 hours. Most of these hours are 6 to 10 minutes at a time to get out of and back into the marina slip.

The water on the block is not doing it any good!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
200 hours is a healthy number of hours. You can easily rebuild by replacing its 3 seals with minimum tools. The replacement 3 seals were $64.00 when I replaced mine. To see how it is done visit OBERDORFER website video and visit the website on my signature. There are very fine mud dust that is circulated in the pump that is brought in with the water. They are like sand paper and can wearout the seals. I apply lanoline on the shaft and the seals to keep the mud dust out with great success. At this time you can remove and clean the shaft and seals with qtip and apply lanolin. Test if it still leaks. If continues to leak, must replace asap to prevent salt water to enter the engine oil.
Haro

KZW

May 17, 2014
Raw water pump not driven by a belt

KZW

May 17, 2014
200 hours is a healthy number of hours. You can easily rebuild by replacing its 3 seals with minimum tools. The replacement 3 seals were $64.00 when I replaced mine. To see how it is done visit OBERDORFER website video and visit the website on my signature. There are very fine mud dust that is circulated in the pump that is brought in with the water. They are like sand paper and can wearout the seals. I apply lanoline on the shaft and the seals to keep the mud dust out with great success. At this time you can remove and clean the shaft and seals with qtip and apply lanolin. Test if it still leaks. If continues to leak, must replace asap to prevent salt water to enter the engine oil.
Haro
Yeah, I’d like to do this by myself, but I’m just not much of a mechanic. Just getting the pump off and back on will be a great adventure. There is silt in the water, especially after rain.
The local mechanic says he will no longer rebuild pumps as his success rate is “only” 90%. I may send it in to Decopump.