Raw water pump - anyone consider doing this?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
With all the boats I’ve owned (4), they all had or have Johnson pumps with the stupid paper gaskets. I think my current one has a rubber o-ring (Beta engine) and I’ll find out soon during it’s first change. The cover plates have little bolts that screw through the plate and into the housing. What about ditching the little bolts and screwing in some studs into the housing? Then the paper gasket can be installed on the studs and once you put the plate on the studs, you can verify that everything is going to mash together correctly. Use star washers and nuts to tighten. Thoughts?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If a stud comes a bit loose, it will be difficult to tighten the nut, the nut will just pull the stud out. Had this happen to a stud on the mixing elbow on my Yanmar. Fiddling with screws is a challenge, replacing them with thumb screws or cap head screws, or even hex bolts will make the process easier as there will be something more substantial to hold. Speedseal provided thumbscrews with their covers, made the process much easier.

A little silicone grease should hold the paper gasket in place while the thumb screws are tightened.

• Helpful
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
With all the boats I’ve owned (4), they all had or have Johnson pumps with the stupid paper gaskets. I think my current one has a rubber o-ring (Beta engine) and I’ll find out soon during it’s first change. The cover plates have little bolts that screw through the plate and into the housing. What about ditching the little bolts and screwing in some studs into the housing? Then the paper gasket can be installed on the studs and once you put the plate on the studs, you can verify that everything is going to mash together correctly. Use star washers and nuts to tighten. Thoughts?
IIRC, about a decade or 2 ago Maine Sail suggested this very same route. Maybe used acorn nuts to drive the threaded rod home first? :plus:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Sounds like you are trying to re-invent the wheel. There are plenty of products on the market that are expessly made to keep gaskets in place when mounting an item. My favorite is a never seize product that is especially sticky to hold gaskets, so you get double duty; a never seize product for your bolts and a gasket holder.
Stop in at any car repair shop and ask what they use.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Buy or cut correct length studs. Red loc-tite will keep them tight as you double nut them into the housing.
Cap nuts will prevent leakage up the stud/threads. BUT if your stud is too long the cap nut will bottom on the stud an not tighten the cover. (Water leak at the cover/gasket will occur).
All that said, clean the paper gasket off both surfaces and smear some grease on the housing.
The gasket will stay put. Pump grease is perfect to use because you are supposed to lube the new impeller you just put in.