raw water impeller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
Is there a better way to remove a raw water impeller from its pump housing than with brute force and a pair of needle nose pliers?

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
They all works on the same principle as a needle nose pliers. No point for me to spent extra cash to get a better mouse trap?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
Get the Jabsco puller the bayshore tool did not work for me because there is no room in my engine compartment to apply any leverage. My impeller faces aft and all the work is done with a mirror.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
In my Yanmar, I always remove the whole pump. Shut the water intake, remove pump and do a through inspection. With the pump out, you can have a much easier time removing the impeller. Never have used a puller. One time, I was able to spot a worn cam and replaced it with ease.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
I just replaced mine a few days ago with a pair of Needle Nose pliers :D and it worked just fine. I have a CS30.

Chees
MR HOLLYWOOD

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I agree with Cayennita: take the whole pump off when replacing the impeller. While the Jabsco impeller puller is not similar to using needle nosed pliers, I would have trouble paying something like $90 for a tool I might use once a year. If you take the pump off, put it in a vise, getting the old impeller out using 2 sets of pliers makes the job a bit easier, particularly if the pump faces aft like mine on a 2GM20F.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Agreed. Pulling the pump and replacing the impeller is no more than a two beer job.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
RE: Raw water pump...

Just took my RWP off my 3GM to check the impeller. I use a slip joint pliars that grip the impeller between two opposing blade sets--it grips flat, not at an angle like a needle nose would. Slight tug and it's out.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
FYI GM engine owners, the JH engines do not have the same type of a setup that they have on the GM engines. The pump is gear driven and is a little more difficult to remove than they are on the GM engines.

There is about 1.5" between the starter motor and the impeller housing.

Yanmar has a new impeller that fits on the JH engines. It allow you to screw in a special adapter to the impeller so they can be removed without those needle nose pliers.

I have not used the device yet, but it does exist. You MUST use a Yanmar impeller to use this tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.