Raw water cooling system question

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Hello everyone. I have a 1997 S2 9.2 C with raw water cooling system. The suction pipe from the sea cock all the way to the rubber water hose that feeds the water pump is half inch galvanized. It was plugged completely and very coroaded.My neighbor at the marina says that the pipes should be made out of copper, and that’s reason it failed( Beeing galvanized).
What metirial the pipe should be?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
All boats "flex" to some extent. Some more than others. I can't imagine a solid pipe between the thru hull and the engine.:yikes:

That seems like a recipe for disaster as flexing could easily cause the thru hull seal or the thru hull or the connection at the water pump to fail. I'd change that before I put the boat in the water. Fatigue failure is a distinct possibility with the setup you have now.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........The suction pipe from the sea cock all the way to the rubber water hose that feeds the water pump is half inch galvanized...........
Ditto Mark Maulden on using flexible hose with wound wire reinforcemed hose to resist collapse, espeacilly on an engine intake in the event it sees vacuum conditions due to a clogged water intake screen. West Marine recommends Shield's Series-250 or Series-252 hose Selecting Marine Hoses | West Marine .

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Ditto to everything above, except multiply by two. The only place you will find solid pipe supplying cooling water to an engine is in large ocean going vessels. This is what we have:

1629911551747.png

Unfortunately, you have a boat which has been compromised by a previous owner on a bad acid trip. I strongly suggest you inspect the boat for other home made defects, particularly in the electrical department. If you're not comfortable in that area, have a marine professional inspect your boat.

Last edited:
  • Ha

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Thanks for all the replies. The previous owner installed an after market air conditioner, so there is a T splitting the A/C suction from the thru hull to engine. In that T , there are two filters one to the A/C and one to water pump.Also there are two ball valves that allow usage of the A/C when the engine is off. (It is a shore power A/C system that uses the same engine cooling thru hull). Can I eliminate the solid galvanized pipe set up and insert all those components in a rubber hose? (Valves and filters). I will send a photo this weekend. Again thanks for the replies

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........Can I eliminate the solid galvanized pipe set up and insert all those components in a rubber hose?.........
Yes.......I would replace the galvanized pipe, valves and fittings, with flexible wound wire reinforcemed hose and bronze valves and fittings as discuseed above.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Affirm @sail sfbay's statement. Galvanized pipe and through hulls on a boat in salt water is a corrosion mess waiting to self destruct. Since you are likely sailing on the bay you are in salt water. Save you boat and your crew. Replace all galvanized with bronze thru hulls and reinforced hoses.