Rattle and Hum -- and not the album by U2

Mar 13, 2012
Catalina 320 Baltimore County
We have a 2000 C320. As we were backing into the slip y'day, a loud hum developed in the aft port locker. Naturally, we ignored it, as it lasted only a few seconds and went away when we turned off the engine. I assumed that we'd sucked something into one of the intakes.

Today, when we went back to the boat, it welcomed us again. I believe it's coming from the Adler Barbour unit. It only occurs when we're on DC, not on shore power. As soon as we turn the key in the ignition, it comes back on. We don't even have to have the engine on -- just turning the switch to the "on" position brings back the hum (This helps console me that we didn't ingest anything into an intake.) But it also occurs with the engine running. It happens even if we switch off the refrigeration on the circuit breaker panel. The refrigerator itself still cools as well as it did before.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What would cause this? Does anyone have a suggestion on "next steps"? I'd rather not replace the unit just because of a loud hum.

thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Are you sure its not the engine compartment ventilation fan ? There's an on/off switch on bottom of instrument pod. They get noisy when the bearings start to go.