Rat tail swimming

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Last weekend the head would not pump well. Intake is only a 1/2" opening and I am docked cross-wise in a river so all kinds of stuff hits the side of the boat and sometimes parks there (reeds, other plant matter for example). Toilet pumping very hard, pulled out the Jabsco filter screen (yes, you absolutely need one of those to protect your toilet!) and it had some black rice like stuff in it, but cleaning did not improve pumping action much, so I went swimming with a rat tail file to clean out the intake. Must have dislodged something nasty as now the toilet did not pump at all!!! Pulled the hose off the intake valve, wife flushed quick on and off, removed filter screen again and cleaned inside of filter housing where I found a little ball of mung, yep almost exactly 1/2" diameter. Never a dull moment. Nice safe docking on a river (no wave action, safe in big storms), but not a clean set up for the toilet.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You need an exterior screen either on or over the thru-hull. Groco makes some. This in addition to your interior filter. More important to have exterior screen on the engine raw water intake.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
You need an exterior screen either on or over the thru-hull. Groco makes some. This in addition to your interior filter. More important to have exterior screen on the engine raw water intake.
Agree. Got that covered with my South Bay Strainer. Good idea for one on the head intake thru-hull.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Roy S,
Went to Groco website but did not see any "exterior screen" for thru-hulls. Are you sure those are the right folks?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Groco has several different styles. Here is one called "RSC" on their web site. Since it installs over your existing thru-hull be sure to get one large enough to cover the fitting without interference. This is what I use.
1598702510555.png
1598702510555.png

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
One more point if you go this route: These will not conform to a curved surface. The hull must be flat. Groco also makes thru-hulls with a fixed strainer on the exterior. These have a smaller footprint and with the proper sealant may install in a slightly curved hull surface.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Much obliged, Roy. Not sure how I missed those on their site. Will wait until end of season and have a look at the hull curve at that location, but in principle this is a very good idea. Thanks again!