Raritan Smart Toilet Control with Multifunction Panel

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I'm almost done installing a Raritan Elegance head and am trying to find a good location for the smart control panel. I'm concerned with water as the head is also the shower and I don't want ti getting sprayed every time we shower in there. Any suggestions from anyone with experience with these controls?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
How 'bout the bulkhead behind the toilet? You'd have to stand up to flush the toilet, but you should be able aim the shower head in just about any other direction. If you don't like that idea, what about making a plexiglass box to put over it when taking a shower?
However, you might want to have a chat with Raritan to ask if it's even necessary to prevent it from getting wet as long as you don't actually aim the shower at it.

--Peggie

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
Getting ready to make this conversion on my MH-37. Do you have any other lessons learned that I need to know about ahead of time.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Getting ready to make this conversion
Juice,
You’ll love this upgrade. Not knowing Completely what I was getting into I just learned as I went. Through research I had an idea how much materials needed and tried to have them on hand. The hard part was removing the old hoses which I measured as I removed them. I ended up removing both the Y valve and macerator and replacing them with new. They’re not in the same locations so lengths changed as I went. Scraped my knuckles more than once. Patience patience patience! You can pm me if you have any questions and I’m sure Peggie is always here for the real expert advise. Good luck

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm not sure how big this panel is but I've mounted similar panels in pelican cases. Wires feed out the side or back and the whole case gets screwed on the wall

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
If I am not mistaken, the smart flush panel is completely "sealed" on the front side of the panel such that there is no way for water entry (ie touch controls, not open switches). I have mine mounted to the cabinet base in the head, just below the sink. The wires are inside the cabinet and attach to the back of the panel and are not exposed to water from the shower or any other routine source.

May 10, 2004
This mod went absolutely perfect. The boat was already pre-wired for an electric head. The power feed was fed into the compartment under the port hanging locker in the aft cabin. I used a 90 degree waste adapter from Raritan and the original waste hose. Water was supplied from the cold water line under the sink in the head. I installed a T in the line and ran a new line to the head with an isolation valve. The Elegance head is so nice. It flushes quietly, doesn't use a lot of water at all.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Water was supplied from the cold water line under the sink in the head. I installed a T in the line and ran a new line to the head with an isolation valve.
I always wondered how this was safe, i.e., how do you prevent bacteria from making its way into your freshwater system?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I always wondered how this was safe, i.e., how do you prevent bacteria from making its way into your freshwater system?
I do hope you mean the sink drain under the sink??? /QUOTE]

You'd be right to question connecting any toilet designed to use SEA water to the fresh water plumbing, but apparently you've both managed to stay blissfully un-aware that there have been toilets designed to SAFELY use pressurized flush water from the boat's fresh water supply since the mid '90s (longer than that, actually...the VacuFlush was introduced in 1978...it never had any competition till the '90s). The toilet he's installing--the Raritan Marine Elegance, which has been the top rated macerating toilet since Raritan introduced it about 10 years ago --is one of 'em. Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf Jabsco also has a couple of models designed to used pressurized fresh water. And there's one--the ONLY one--MANUAL toilet designed to use pressurized fresh water: the Raritan Fresh Head Raritan FRESH_HEAD Promo Sheet

--Peggie

Last edited:
May 10, 2004
I do hope you mean the sink drain under the sink???
Peggy answered the question, but the toilet is designed to operate on Pressurized Fresh Water. A solenoid valve in the fresh water supply line opens during the flush cycle to provide pressurized water. I installed an isolation valve in the line to allow for maintenance or if the solenoid valve leaks by.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
I have to say it's the best upgrade I have ever done to my boats. Absolutely love it!