Raritan PHII Bowl Replacement

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Considering a change to my PHII from the marine sized bowl to the standard size bowl. A couple of questions:

Are the mounting holes a standard pattern, i.e., will a bowl from any supplier fit?

Is there a good source for a replacement bowl? Online searching has not proven to be very successful.

Thanks!

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Usually it's the other way around, people with existing bowls buying just the PH2 pump and base, I will get a quote from Raritan, email directly if you'd like as I'm not on the Forum every day: dave@sailboatowners.com

Jan 11, 2014
Usually it's the other way around, people with existing bowls buying just the PH2 pump and base, I will get a quote from Raritan, email directly if you'd like as I'm not on the Forum every day: dave@sailboatowners.com
Thanks, email is on its way. I have a perfectly good base and pump that was recently rebuilt. Starting in June we will be living aboard for about a year and well, how to put this delicately... comfort will be important. ;)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A cautionary notehere.

I installed a Raritan PHll this winter and was all set to go with the full sized bowl until I noticed this little problem at the rear of my old Jabsco:

100_3974B.jpg

The Raritan PHll is a Jabsco with a different pump. If the increased length of the full size bowl is split equally between fore and aft, the bowl would have been a few inches into the wall. A marine size bowl it is for me.

No walls near your head ? ? ? Congratulations ! ! !

You need a shoe-horn just to mount ours :cuss:.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The solution MAY be, move the whole toilet a few inches forward. That will require drilling new mounting bolt holes and filling the old ones, which is a bit of PITA to do, but maybe worth it to have a bowl that's both household height and size.

Or...if you're ok with the size of the "marine" bowl, just want the increased height, consider raising it by mounting the toilet on a thick board. You'll have be really good at measuring where to drill the holes in it to match the existing mounting bolt holes.

--Peggie

Jan 11, 2014
The solution MAY be, move the whole toilet a few inches forward. That will require drilling new mounting bolt holes and filling the old ones, which is a bit of PITA to do, but maybe worth it to have a bowl that's both household height and size.

Or...if you're ok with the size of the "marine" bowl, just want the increased height, consider raising it by mounting the toilet on a thick board. You'll have be really good at measuring where to drill the holes in it to match the existing mounting bolt holes.

--Peggie
Thanks Peggie, I'm more concerned with the front of the bowl. The head has a bifold door, I'm not sure how much clearance there is to open and close the door.

Are the holes for the seat standard? Can I go to the big box store and buy a regular seat for a lot less money than the $43 Raritan seat?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Big box seats--round ones, which are actually oval--will fit a "household" size bowl, but not a "marine" bowl. But even if you put a larger seat on on the smaller bowl, you'd still be "squatting on a bucket," just a bucket with a bigger seat unless you put the whole toilet on something to raise it.

Easy way to find out how much clearance you have in front of the toilet: put the end of a ruler on the edge of your current toilet get the number of inches between the bowl and the door edge. Then check the toilets specs for the difference between the distance from the hole to the front edge of both bowls.

--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Uummm.. are you sure about that seat bolt pattern? I can measure mine on Friday.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm lost... Are we talking about the bolt pattern that secures the toilet to the sole, or the ones that attach the seat/lid to the bowl?

--Peggie

Jan 11, 2014
My Jabsco bolts are 5 7/16. My house is about 5 11/16.
Hmmm. A quarter inch off. I'll have to spend some time at the big box. There might be a way to modify the seat. Raritan wants $42 for a seat on top of $185 for the bowl.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Last week I purchased a $7 seat from a big box store and removed the hinges. The PHII hinges are $30. Worked fine, but not an exact fit.

I did test fit an old residential seat that someone gave me. The bolt spacing was the same. But the seat was too large. Hope that helps answer your question.

Jan 11, 2014
Last week I purchased a $7 seat from a big box store and removed the hinges. The PHII hinges are $30. Worked fine, but not an exact fit.

I did test fit an old residential seat that someone gave me. The bolt spacing was the same. But the seat was too large. Hope that helps answer your question.
Thank you to all for your input.

I'll have to measure to make certain the bowl will fit and then I'll deal with the seat.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I not at my boat but did replace my seat and the bowl was from my old head mate pump and I got the same
manufacture of the seat I think on Amazon for around $25.
I can’t remember who made the seat but it was still read able on the seat and when I did a search for seats
I found the same seat and fit like a charm.
I will look for where I really found it.
Nick

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Bemis supplies the bowls to just about every toilet mfr.

An off the wall suggestion for a free replacement bowl: Boatyards swap out a lot of manual toilets for electric and electric toilets for upgraded all-china versions. Some are brand new or almost new. They just toss them wherever they dispose of used hardware. I used to collect 2-3 bowls in both sizes every fall and clean them thoroughly to have on hand the following spring for people whose bowls had cracked from incomplete winterizing....sold 'em for $25.

So you might want to check with local yards. I never had any demand for seats so I only picked up bowls, but you can prob'ly get both, often in brand new condition. A hose, a sponge and rubber gloves and a can of Lysol are you need to have everything you want for free.

--Peggie