Raritan KO2 kit

Dec 21, 2013
Catalina 315 Long Beach, CA
Found this on defender.com. Does anybody have any experience with this kit? Although it's probably not needed in a pressurized fresh water system, is it still safe to use with one? I'd rather smell the wonderful aroma of Raritan CP automatically with every flush than the alternative :).

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What on earth makes it worth that much!!

Found this on defender.com. Does anybody have any experience with this kit? Although it's probably not needed in a pressurized fresh water system, is it still safe to use with one? I'd rather smell the wonderful aroma of Raritan CP automatically with every flush than the alternative :).
Although C.P. is an absolutely wonderful product (it's part of the product line my own company developed and sold to Raritan, so I admit to a certain amount of bias about it), I can't imagine what could make this kit worth anywhere NEAR that much! That has to be some amazing valve assembly, 'cuz this kit is just the latest incarnation of what Raritan used to call their "Toilet Water Kit" that had a list price of only about $50. It used a product called Raritan Concentrate, which Raritan finally discontinued a couple of years ago because it's toxic. The "TWK" consisted of a gallon milk jug, some 1/4" hose, a siphon check valve assembly and a bottle Raritan concentrate. This new "KO2 kit" consists of a 1/4" hose, a "valve assembly", a 1 gallon container and a bottle of Raritan C.P. that has a list price of about $15.

If it were my boat, I'd assembly a "kit" myself...find the best prices for some bottles of C.P. a siphon check valve assembly, some 1/4" hose, and recycle a gallon milk jug. You MIGHT even find a marine store that still has an old "TWK" on a storeroom shelf.

And to answer your question, C.P is safe to use in any system...in fact, it's also the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet...the enzymes in it not only destroy odors on contact, they also eat hair, soap scum, galley grease, body oils etc...a couple of ounces once a week when it can stand at least overnight will keep sumps and drains squeaky clean and sweet smelling. And it can stand in the plumbing indefinitely without harm to anything.

Dec 21, 2013
Catalina 315 Long Beach, CA
Thank you Peggy. I just picked up your book so I appreciate your input. I know nothing about plumbing. My knowledge consists of "if I turn on the faucet water cones out" so my concern is that the CP solution doesn't work it's way back up the line into the potable water tank.

I agree that the pricing is unscrupulous. If a homemade solution is employed, again what keeps the solution from contaminating the drinking water?

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Yes, a bit pricey for what it is as Peggie points out.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234295&id=2304126
A 22 oz bottle of CP & KO will run you < $40.

No head system or toilet is plumbed such that the bowl can contaminate your fresh water supply (intentionally). Check valves may help with this on a boat. The kit comes with a check valve to ensure one way flow only.