Rare view of Catalina check valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Interesting - on the the 309, there are two adjacent but separate outlets in the hull for the small (electric) and large (manual) bilge pump hoses, rather than being tee'd together and using a single hole in the hull as on the 310. Wonder why Catalina changed this?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Well if the check valve failed, and there was some sort of blockage in the single hull outlet (say mud wasps built a nest in there), then it is possible that the electric pump would move the in coming water (leak caused by that nasty log you just ran over bending the strut) in a circle back down to the bilge, thus never getting rid of the water. Not a very good design! I'm going to check out the check valve next time I'm aboard. Good find Paul!!!

So now what are you going to do? Your single handed, it blowing 30 and you got to stay focused on getting some cloth out because you cant turn the prop anymore, and get your heading worked out, and man the manual pump at the same time? BTW that lee shore is looming large and she coming in pretty good.
Idea... go below shut off the water intake for the raw water pull the line to the front of the engine and stuff it in the bilge. Start the motor crank it up to 3k and have it help pump the water out.
Hopefully it can keep up. Now get to port ASAP and call for a tow as your making your way. Find out what going on with the bilge pump, and see if you can slow down the leak that is coming in around the strut bolts until you can get the yard monkeys to pull her. Of course if it Saturday and Monday is a holiday to you won't get pulled for 2 more days.

Drizzel drazzel drizzel drone time for this one to come home. I don't want to be a sailor anymore Mr Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.