Ransomware strikes Garmin for $10M

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Huh?
Bluetooth has nothing to do with wifi, network scanning, finding, broadcast... except the bluetooth broadcasts itself to anything that is listening within 20-30 feet.
Now I would expect it to prompt you for even the default passpin even though it is displayed in the app

Maybe I am misinterpreting previous posts, that happens a lot.
One of the first things I did when I purchased my Android was to DISABLE Bluetooth. Naturally it was enabled default, just as Location (which I also disabled).

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
How about all the people who use those talk to devices in their homes? e.g. "Alexa, how much is 25 x 4?" My grandchildren use these things in that exact manner because not only have they not learned simple math, they are now too lazy to pick up their calculator. One of them never learned cursive writing so his signature on a graduation gift check was his name, printed. Security there? Soon they will be running the engine of the world. We are all doomed.
Perhaps the MTA and NEA should be consulted on that issue.....:(

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I would also point out that many “devices” have two sets of “credentials”.
The best example of this would be your homes “router”.

One set of credentials is the SSID (the name the device broadcasts that you connect to) and it’s associated password. IE the WiFi password.

The second is the “username” and password used to enter the administration portal of the router.

From my experience as the unpaid computer consultant to family and friends :) is that many homeowners subscribe to their ISP of choice, a tech shows up to install the “box”. Many of the techs plug the hardware in, tell the homeowner what the SSID and password are and leave or the homeowner sets it up themselves but isn’t aware of the admin portal or how to access it. Even if they do know they are reluctant to change anything as they might cause their new internet connection to fail.

In my opinion all preconfigured credentials should be changed on day one, after all in the example I give the tech knows what they are!

Jul 23, 2020
How about all the people who use those talk to devices in their homes? e.g. "Alexa, how much is 25 x 4?" My grandchildren use these things in that exact manner because not only have they not learned simple math, they are now too lazy to pick up their calculator. One of them never learned cursive writing so his signature on a graduation gift check was his name, printed. Security there? Soon they will be running the engine of the world. We are all doomed.
I don't want devices in my home that are couched as a "convenience", but in reality are just Trojan horses put there by some corporation as a means to spy on me, record my voice for whatever purpose, and to find ways to game or exploit me at every opportunity. I think it's dangerous to become reliant on these "high tech" gadgets not only for the reasons I just mentioned--but for all the reasons we can't yet foresee. From Blue Sky mining giving people cancer, to PG&E dumping chemicals in drinking water, to Big Tobacco paying doctors to go on TV to convince your grandparents smoking was good for them-->the common denominator here is that corporations are anything but altruistic.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The old ways are preferable. No electronics to unlock nor monitor but checked by eyes and two feet. Never say where and when you are gone. Dogs who tell you something is wrong and can handle those not welcomed. Trusty loaded 45 with hollow points by my side.