Ranger 37 Balanced Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Mayer

Hello, I have been reading about boat models who have had their rudders modified to counter weather helm on their boats and was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this topic. Gary Mull had plans drawn for a balanced rudder in the late 70's and I think I am going to investigate this further. Has anyone done anything to their rudders to balance them and if so can you share the info with the group? I would like to try something on my rudder but first thought I would check for local knowledge. Thanks, Mark Mayer IkaikaCaptain@san.rr.com

H

Heffy

Rudder Balance

Mark I am curious, what is your rudder doing now to indicate a balance problem? Correct me if necessary, rudder balance has to do with the "lift" properties of the rudder foil in relation to the lift of the keel. Example the rudder on an old Ericson 35 when healed the rudder would loose lift and the boat would wipeout. This situation was caused by the sweep of the overall rudder plan vs its foil shape. A more vertical rudder helped out in this case. Usually the rudder has a more blunt leading edge to its foil than a keel. So lift is not lost when the boat is going very slow. Got to be careful of the reverse. If your surfing off a big wave and the rudder is too blut it will loose lift from going to fast (similar to cavitation but no feel to it) by the time you feel it and you wipe out. (loose lift and the rudder doesnt work)Semi hairy situation till you get used to it. Check with "lyle" at Eychenlabs's yard. He has an eye for keels and rudders. Have fun!

C

Capt Lee ;-)

Balanced rudder

Mark, I made a 'balanced' rudder from plans, and it was a definite improvement. I added a 1/2 moon forward of the rudder post, about 1/3 the size of the 'normal' rudder that set aft of the rudder tube. I had: less weather helm, easier steerage, better control, especially in tight marinas, and my wind-vane worked much 'mo betta brah'.

C

Capt Lee ;-)

Not on a Ranger

Mark, I did not make it clear, this is a general answer not specific to a Ranger, I Have NOT balanced a Ranger rudder.

Apr 24, 2005
Ranger 37 Bayfield WI.
Balanced rudder

Mark, I have Mulls third and final design on my 37. I have driven a 76 37 with the origional rudder and their is a good bit of inprovement. The boat will point a bit higher, is easier to controll dduring heavy air spinakker runs and is very hard to spin out or broach when over powered. You will feel greater help pressure on the wheel however. There is a picture of my boat showeing the rudder on the Ranger Web site. Look under "Outrageous" Pete

M

Mark Mayer

R37 Balanced Rudder

Hello Pete, I have the plans for Mull's 3rd rudder design and have sent them and some pictures to the guy who drew the plans for Mr. Mull in the late 70's. I am going to have him go over the plans and see if they need to be updated before I go ahead with the modification for the Balanced Rudder that Mull authorized for the R 37. I can't find your boat on any page that you mentioned but would like to see pictures of your rudder as a reference. Do you have the website handy. Thanks, Mark Mayer

M

Mark Mayer

R 37 balanced rudder

Hello Captain Lee, Thanks for your response and the info about the balanced rudder. I have read some articles about other owners of different boat types modifying their rudders with great success. There was an Ocean Navigator article that I read that got me going on this. A guy who owns a Pearson 40 had his rudder modified to a more balanced rudder and he couldn't have been happier. I figure I will investigate it further and report what I find. Thanks again, Mark Mayer

M

Mark Mayer

Rudder Balance for the R37

Hello Heffy, From what I know a Balanced Rudder has more to do with how much rudder is in front of the rudder post and how much is trailing the rudder post. The 10% or so that would be in front of the rudder post gets a deflection from the water that is hitting it and helps to alleviate some of the pressure that needs to be exerted on the tiller to hold the rudder in a particular angle. I think that the tiller is too heavy and some of the posts I have read from other owners attest to this. I would like to alleviate the strength needed to hold the helm in moderate winds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you are in San Diego, where do you keep your boat? Mark Mayer San Diego

R

Ranger 29

balancing a skegged rudder

My uncle had a Ranger 28 with a full skegged rudder, like the 37. We balanced it by cutting a chunk of the skeg off at teh bottom and glassing it on to the front of the rudder blade. This worked great, but we may have put a bit too much balance area on, the boat was great under sail but became a handful when motoring.

M

Mark Mayer

Update on R37 rudder rebuild

Hello, Gary Mull authorized a new rudder for the Ranger 37 and it called for cutting away the skeg so that the hull had no skeg. The rudder that was in the plans was a balanced rudder that would be comparable to a lot of current rudders. I decided not to cut away the skeg because that would have meant moving the lower bearing up and I didn't want to do that. I cut the skeg away at the bottom of the lower bearing rudder mount where it attaches to the skeg. The new rudder is being made by a company in Santa Ana, California and should be finished in about one week. It will be a balanced rudder. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Mark

S

sanjuan2R

Ranger 37 info

How many Ranger 37 sailboats were produced before the molds were destroyed by Bangor Punta Marine? I have been trying to find out more information on their production but there is little info and fewer owners that know their gallant history. Any help would be appreciated. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.