Ranger 29 holding tank questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2011
Ranger 29 Corpus christi
We just bought Chaser, a 74 Ranger 29. She's in near perfect condition other than a dripping sea water inlet flange on the toilet hand pump because I am the first one to open the sea water valve to it in years, and the fresh water tank is cracked. It hasn't been used in years either. Other than that this boat looks brand new, runs perfect and was taken care of by people that really cared.

I have some tank questions. First the sewage holding tank under the v berth. I haven't traced out all the hoses completely yet and the last owner never used it but it appears that in order to pump this thing out I either have to hand pump it overboard or remove the cover on the top and stick a hose in it that is lying there in the bilge and looking like it's designed for this purpose since it's connected to the deck pump out fitting. I can already hear the complaining from my wife when I have to do that. Is that the original setup? I didn't see a Y valve anywhere. I want to change all the hoses going to through hulls next week and can anyone give me any tips on modernizing this system? To be in the corpus christi marina I have to have an annual toilet inspection verifying that sewage to the sea is secured and the head is all in working order. The surveyor told me I can take the handle off the pump and close and wire the overboard valve.

The fresh water tank. I haven't seen the crack in it yet. I have to go back with my screw gun and take up half the deck under the mattress to get it out. I was just figuring on replacing it with a camper type on demand water pump instead of using the hand pump faucets. Does anyone know of a new faucet that will fit the original holes in the 2 sinks and a place to buy them online. We live in Lubbock Texas and Commute to Corpus every week where the boat is kept so I like to have everything ready go before we get there.

Apr 19, 2011
Ranger-Yachts R29 Olympia, WA
I have an R29 as well and replaced the existing system completely last year with high-end components. I would be surprised if a 74 still had the original plumbing installed. In any case, a loose pump-out hose that needs to be inserted into the tank inspection port is not a proper installation.

You can spend a good bit of change replacing hoses, tank, valves, clamps and so on with high quality materials. I recommend going with the best hose you can afford, the good stuff is a pain to run, but worth it in the long run. I can send you more info on my install, but it would help to know what you plan on replacing and maybe a few pics of what you have.

I also replaced sink fixtures and added an on-demand water pump...I simply fashioned some teak blocks to fit over the old fixture holes, varnished them and drilled to fit the new fixtures.

Les

Sep 20, 2011
Ranger 29 Corpus christi
Don't you have a website where you posted pictures of your boat? I think I may have seen it. It sounds like you really did a great job and I'd be very interested in seeing more.

I want to replace both tanks. The holding tank has about 3 inches of hardened something in the bottom and the water tank is cracked. I'm kicking myself for not taking measurements and pictures of the tanks last week so I could order new ones but when I get back to the boat next week I will. I'd love to see pictures of how you did your faucets. I haven't looked through my catalogs yet to determine what hose is best. Any recommendations?

As for the head, I think I can live with it. I just have to replace an o ring at the manual pump and clean it better so it is fit for the admiral. I don't know anything about macerator types. All of my experience is US Navy. I was a machinist mate (retired). A real steamer not a nuke. This is totally new to me. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Apr 19, 2011
Ranger-Yachts R29 Olympia, WA
Yes, I have some photos on the Ranger-Yachts site. I didn't replace my head, but I did totally rebuild it with a kit from Raritan. I have a Raritan PHII, which I highly recommend. Most of the better heads can be rebuilt. I have not found a need for a macerator with this head. I did replace everything else though.

I used SEALAND OdorSafe Plus Sanitation Hose...this stuff is very stiff and pricey, but it is very highly rated and has performed great for me. I got the Sealand tank from Defender...Item #: 502989 Tough Holding Tank - 18 gallon - 14"H x 14.25"W x 28.25"D Horizontal. This fits under the v-berth nicely on a custom-built plywood platform. You may be able to find another tank but these tanks are nice as they use hose fittings with dip tubes from the top of the tank, so if you run your hose carefully you will not have sewage sitting in hoses, one of the reasons hoses will eventually have odor issues. Not sure what your under v-berth area looks like, but I had to cut the divider between the 2 access panels to make the access bigger to get it in.

I also increased the size of the vent hose from the original so there is good ventilation to the tank. You should do a search for "Peggy the Head Mistress" on this site and religiously follow her advice... I no longer have any odor related to the head and do not use any deodorizers, bleach or anything but Raritan KO, which has bio aerobic activators. I also added a vented loop, and no longer have issues with sewage creeping back into the head from the tank. This is also a safety feature that should be included in your system.

The Sealand tank has 2 separate dip tubes/hose discharges for pump-out and overboard discharge, so I did not use a y-valve, but went directly to a Whale Urchin manual pump and then to thru hull. I keep the handle to the pump zip-tied as Puget Sound is a no discharge area.

On demand water system is JABSCO PAR Max Freshwater 1.9 gpm Pump and Shurflo Trinidad series folding tap fixures. The 1st Jabsco pump died after 3 days use, but was replaced by West Marine and I haven't had any issues since. Mounting is simply small teak blocks with the edges eased with a router, drilled to fit the fixture and varnished...I'll have to take photos as I don't remember taking any.

Attachments

Dec 12, 2011
ranger 37 Wilmington, ca
I'm rebuilding my holding tank and head system on my Ranger 37 and I think the holding tank with the dip tubes out of the top is the only way to go! That's what I did on my boat.
Nice job on the woodwork for your faucets! Looks nice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.