Ranger 28 envy

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Hi All,
There is a Ranger 28 which I have had my eye on for the past 5 years, well it is now up for sale. The sticking point is the galley is not acceptable to my wife in the current configuration. The way the interior mold is made it looks as if the settee in front of the stove/icebox could be modified (cut) to increase the standing room and get the cook out of the companionway. Does anyone have insight into the feasibility of such a project? The wood and fiberglass work is wee within my skill set.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The old Wife/Galley conundrum. I got nothin'. I once paid almost $500 plus another $100 or so for shipping for an alcohol stove that the Mrs. wanted for our upcoming cruise. And sweated the delivery.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi All,
There is a Ranger 28 which I have had my eye on for the past 5 years, well it is now up for sale. The sticking point is the galley is not acceptable to my wife in the current configuration. The way the interior mold is made it looks as if the settee in front of the stove/icebox could be modified (cut) to increase the standing room and get the cook out of the companionway. Does anyone have insight into the feasibility of such a project? The wood and fiberglass work is wee within my skill set.

Thanks
Had nearly the same arrangement on my Pearson 30 of 11 years ownership; "cutting board" a step in the companion way, sink right next to it to starboard; Origo stove forward of that on starboard side, ice box aft of that on the same side. Was not a problem functionally nor aesthetically from my point of view or that of my wife. You might have to go to a completely different kind of boat to solve that issue if reconstruction is not feasible.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sister ships
The same as I described above except that the galley stuff on your port side was on the starboard side of the P30; the quarter berth on the P30 was on port.The Orio was aligned fore-aft not athwart.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
If you love the boat, it's in seaworthy condition, and the opportunity to own her is here and now. Buy it.

Sail the boat awhile. Let the wife use the galley a few times. Then ask her if it still needs mods. I personally loathe to cut anything, and a large project like that can get you more pain and regret than it's worth.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
By the way, an easy improvement to small galleys is the folding countertop. -pic
Simple install, with no mods. You could put one starboard of the sink (or stove, depending on boat version). Or other locations.
There are ready-made ones available.

Attachments