Ranger 28 Compression Post Corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2012
Ranger 28 Seabrook, TX
Hi, I just bought a Ranger 28 (hull #183) and have some corrosion at the base of the compression post (see attached pictures). It's resting on a metal plate to distribute the load more evenly on the keel. The metal plate has a small post that sticks up inside the compression post to keep it under the post.
Since most of the bottom 1/2 inch of aluminum is eaten away, I'm looking for ideas on how to fix this. I came up with these 3.
1) Cut off bottom 1" of post, put a sealed block of wood under the post
2) Cut off bottom 1" of post, put a metal block under the post
3) Replace the post entirely

3) seems to be the most expensive, although probably the "right" way to do it. However, I'm looking to keep costs down.
2) I'm not sure what kind of metal or where to get something that thick (1") and how to cut it to fit the shape of the compression post
1) seems cheapest, and since on the Ranger 28, it is very easy to see and determine the status of the base, may be a way to temporarily fix it and watch the behavior. I could replace the block each year if it's getting chewed up.
I would be concerned with 1) that the compression post would work like a cookie cutter and slice through the wood to make a nice, oval cutout. So maybe I should combine 1) and 2) and epoxy a small layer (1/4"?) of aluminum to the top of the wood to avoid this. A thinner metal piece may be cuttable with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade.

One alternative might be to use a 1” plastic board rather than wood to support this. It would be more water resistant than wood, but I question whether would it be strong enough? What sort of compression loads are transferred from the post to the keel?

I'm looking for advice on this. Have others tried it? Are there any success or failure stories?

Thanks,
Randy

Attachments

Mar 16, 2012
Ranger 28 Seabrook, TX
So, I decided to cut it off with a Dremel and put a block of plywood underneath it and see what it does over the summer. Here is the finished product.

Attachments

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
let us know how it holds up! If nothing else, I would seal the wood with some epoxy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.