ranger 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2004
NULL NULL Treasure Island, Florida
Hi, looking for my first sailboat, looking for mostly a daysailer, maybe an overnite once in awhile. I have windsurfed a bunch, sailed other peoples boats a bit but generally I'm a beginner sailor as far as owning a sailboat. I want something simple, cheap, low maintenance, keep it in the water, fairly shallow draft for west coast of florida, plan on sailing it in intercoastal, maybe gulf on nice days. I have a competitive side and there is club racing in this area so I'll probably try my hand at that. Recommend a ranger 23? Problems to look out for? will it need a bunch of upkeep/maintenance? any known problems to look for when considering buying one? are they safe boats? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm currently looking at one, haven't seen it in person yet, listed as "23', 05 honda 4 cycle outboard, new furling and UV, upgraded interior, asking 5K firm" Thanks in advance Doug

May 27, 2005
- - Lake Norman
Ranger 23

It's hard to go wrong with a Ranger 23 for the purposes you state you want to use one for. I owned one for 7 years daysailing and club racing with it. It's a very competitive boat (with a PHRF rating of 219 to 225) in almost any wind condition and very forgiving. A great boat to learn to sail on ( I did). As for maintenance, this is a 30 + year old boat. You can't put it in the water and forget it. It probably has deak leaks and some delamination. A professional survey is in order just to protect yourself from some very expensive problems. If it surveys OK, You'll need to re-caulk all deck hardware if it hasn't been done in the last few years. Also pay attention to the keel stub and make sure there arn't any cracks in that area caused by flex from the keel. That seems to be a weak spot in the design of the boat. Also make sure the support for the mast step isn't decompressed. It's difficult to keep in tune if it has. Again, if you fine a good example of this design, it's a great boat. One you will enjoy sailing and take pride in its good looks.

M

minlawcleve@yahoocoo

ranger info requested

i have a larger cruiser racer that has been very successful on lake erie, due to crew issues i want to downsize, i am considering a ranger 22, 23, or 26, any thoughts and how much difference is there performance wise and rating wise phrf bet the 23 standard and 23 tall rig. who makes good sails for these boats

N

Neil

R23 info

There is a fairly active discussion site for R23 owners at groups.msn.com/Ranger23 I have had an R23 for a short time and, based on experiences so far, it seems a good boat for your purposes. Neil

P

Patrick

Perfect

Former Ranger 23 owner here. These are very stout, very forgiving boats for the purposes you listed and more. They were designed to take the abuse of the San Francisco bay -- Not kind to small boats in summer conditions. For a boat of this size (and price, generally), there still really isn't anything to match its robustness in those conditions. It drives upwind like a truck (solid) and handles like a much bigger boat. No, not a lightweight but very safe and...confidence inspring. Great for the single-hander if that's your thing. Problem areas: Look for seepage around the keel. Sometimes needs tightening or sealing - not a biggee. Chainplates leak famously if not properly looked after -- This leads to bulkhead-rot which is no fun to replace (did it). Otherwise very resistant to blistering (fairly solid high quality hand-laid glass) and takes abuse pretty well for a 30 year old boat. Enjoy!

Chag

Apr 10, 2006
- - Milwaukee, WI
Survey?

I'm considering buying a Ranger 23 for my first sailboat, and have a line on one for around two grand. Is it worth paying $500 or more for a survey for a $2000.00 boat? 1998 main, original jibs, 1998 5hp Yamaha, don't know much else yet...

D

Deborah

2 Rangers

I would highly recommend a Ranger 23 and I have owned two of them. My first Ranger was a 1972 (if my memory serves me) hull number in the 40s. This boat had a teak toe rail. I was crazy enough to basically redo this boat stem to stern, but honestly can say I never had any major structural problems with either of them. My first Ranger I raced more extensively then the last. My second Ranger was a 1976 with a metal toe rail. The only thing that bugged me about this boat was the small gelcoat cracks that appeared on the deck and some slight cracks in the hull. It was strictly cosmetic but trust me it was nothing like my Santana 22's cracks. If I had my choice I would get a tall rig. I use to race on one in the Bay and I really liked the way it sailed. Great Boats !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.