Random orbital buffer

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have been seeing a lot of adds for random orbital buffers. I have a 6" variable speed soft-start rotary buffer that works pretty well. What are the pro's and con's for the random orbital over a rotary buffer for work on gelcoat and paint?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The only RO we have that works ok on gelcoat is the German made Flex. Of course this buffer is about $420.00... They can be used for glazing and polishing gelcoat but they don't do well with heavy oxidation. Below are my own ratings based on gelcoat buffing of the machines we own here.

Griots Garage 6" (Marginal)
Porter Cable 7424 (Marginal)
Flex XC3401 VRG (Decent)
Makita 9227C (Best)
Harbor Freight Rotary (Very Poor) (burned it up on the first side of a 32' boat)
Harbor Freight RO (Very Poor)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
What are the pro's and con's for the random orbital over a rotary buffer for work on gelcoat and paint?
I have found my Makita 9227C does the best job on the deck and hull but makes a real mess when doing the deck. While specks all over navy blue dodger. Stuck using an RO near the dodger.

The BIGGEST difference I have found is the pad used. Wool is the best by a wide margin and foam rubber does a pretty spotty job.

• Helpful
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Makita 9227C (Best)
Totally agree with Maine, Makita is best polisher. I have had mine for approximately 20 years and it's still going strong.
One of the best power tools that I have ever had. If you are going to do a decent job compounding, polishing, and waxing a large boat;
do yourself a favor and buy a good buffer.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The only RO we have that works ok on gelcoat is the German made Flex. Of course this buffer is about $420.00... They can be used for glazing and polishing gelcoat but they don't do well with heavy oxidation. Below are my own ratings based on gelcoat buffing of the machines we own here.

Flex XC3401 VRG (Decent)
Makita 9227C (Best)
Harbor Freight Rotary (Very Poor) (burned it up on the first side of a 32' boat)

Totally agree with Maine, Makita is best polisher. I have had mine for approximately 20 years and it's still going strong.
One of the best power tools that I have ever had. If you are going to do a decent job compounding, polishing, and waxing a large boat;
do yourself a favor and buy a good buffer.
I must live a charmed life. More than 20 years ago I bought my only HF tool, a $29.99 7" Buffer in HF Orange. I stuck a 3M Wool Pad on it and it has served me well. It is noisy and vibrates a bit but works. Of course, it only gets used once every year or two and it won't die so I can justify buying a Makita.

Hmmm.... on second thought maybe I've been cursed for all the evil things I've said about HF over the years, they're just paying me back and denying me the reason to buy what I'd really like......:huh:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Hmmm.... on second thought maybe I've been cursed for all the evil things I've said about HF over the years, they're just paying me back and denying me the reason to buy what I'd really like......:huh:
I feel your pain! My Campbell Hausfeld air compressor that is close to twenty years old finally quit. It is obsolete and parts are no longer available. My dilemma is to buy Harbor Freight for approximately half the cost of a Dewalt (or comparable). Decisions, Decisions....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh Big Easy... Think time of use. Personal comfort. You can easily buy a couple of HF units, as they are considered use and toss tools. Yet the annoyance of having a HF unit bite the dust in the middle of your project can be most annoying.

On the other hand your CH compressor gave you 20 years. Do you have another 20 years in you?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
[QUOTE="jssailem, post: 1690043, member: 127717".
On the other hand your CH compressor gave you 20 years. Do you have another 20 years in you?
[/QUOTE]
You never know John; I am going to take an optimistic approach!!

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
I think anyone who has done any research on the pros and cons of these machines knows that rotary buffers can and do get novices into lots of trouble. So if you are new to compounding and polishing your boat you may want to go with an RO machine. They are slower to bring up the shine you can brag about but using them is very safe as far as damaging the surface is concerned. Even more important is the compound and wax you use with these machines. You should only use compound coarse enough to get the job done. Anything more will only unnecessarily remove more gelcoat or burn through your paint. If your boat is badly oxidized you may need to start with wet sanding with the finest paper needed to get the job done and follow up with compounds that will remove the sanding scratches. There are many compounds out there that start out as coarse grit and as they are used the grit gets finer. These compounds can save steps however, I have found that using a final very fine polishing compound or cleaner wax does a great job. A final word, do not compound your boat every year or you will eventually have nothing left to polish.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS

Flex XC3401 VRG (Decent)
Makita 9227C (Best)
I was going to reference the article you wrote up on polishing and waxing but I don't find it..

I have the Makita. Be sure not to brush up against any electronics or other attached devices. It will rip it off the boat. Ask me how I know :wahwah: