ran out of fuel with 12 gals in the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
Here is a strange story from our Labor Day travels, we had been motor sailing into a strong head wind and current for around 10 hrs on our return trip down the ICW from St. Augustine...passing thru Daytona Beach we were hit buy a strong wind line from a thunderstorm, Hobies and Lasers near us capsized, a Hunter 28 motor sailing with us was rounded up, we only had a very small amount of the main out so we had no probems with the wind although we did heal over some (don't remember how much). Now the strange part...the engine died just as the wind line hit us, fuel gauge reading was over 1/4 tank, temp was below 180, with no power we were quickly pushed toward shallow water and some docks...the Admrial did a great job of getting the anchor down and the boat was saved :). Tow Boat US came to the rescue and took us to a nearby marina (thank you Aqua Marine for being open 24/7), we topped off the tank and it only held 15 gals...next day after bleeding air from the lines everything ran great...did we suck air into the fuel lines while still having 12 gals in the tank? Any ideas?

FYI: the Hunter ran out of fuel about an hour later and had to be towed in the last mile.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Here is a strange story from our Labor Day travels, we had been motor sailing into a strong head wind and current for around 10 hrs on our return trip down the ICW from St. Augustine...passing thru Daytona Beach we were hit buy a strong wind line from a thunderstorm, Hobies and Lasers near us capsized, a Hunter 28 motor sailing with us was rounded up, we only had a very small amount of the main out so we had no probems with the wind although we did heal over some (don't remember how much). Now the strange part...the engine died just as the wind line hit us, fuel gauge reading was over 1/4 tank, temp was below 180, with no power we were quickly pushed toward shallow water and some docks...the Admrial did a great job of getting the anchor down and the boat was saved :). Tow Boat US came to the rescue and took us to a nearby marina (thank you Aqua Marine for being open 24/7), we topped off the tank and it only held 15 gals...next day after bleeding air from the lines everything ran great...did we suck air into the fuel lines while still having 12 gals in the tank? Any ideas?

FYI: the Hunter ran out of fuel about an hour later and had to be towed in the last mile.
Very common while motor sailing. Take a bread baking pan fill 1/4 with water and tip 15 degrees and begin sloshing it back and forth and envision where the pick up is....;)

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
With the shape of the stock fuel tank (bottom sloped from the port to center line where the pickup tube is), motor sailing on starboard with any kind of heel will invite trouble in low fuel situation. On port it is not as much of a problem. It's odd that you would die right away, there is a fare amount of fuel in the filters and hoses. I would be very suspicious that you fuel pump stopped working. Check by listening for the alarm when you turn the key on and before you start the engine, it should be sounding. Also, before you start the engine if you turn your key to the spring-loaded position and have some one listen to the fuel pump it should be making a clicking sound. If these symptoms are not observed, check the shovel connector that feed power to the fuel pump, it gets corroded very easily in this environment. The shovel connector is located on top of the pump just a short distance away. The engine will run down to 5/8 of a tank with no power to the fuel pump, just gravity fed.

Dec 5, 2010
The fuel pump is on my list of items to check this weekend since we have never had less then a 5/8 of a tank since we purchased the boat in December until this event.
Thanks

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Where is the electric fuel pump located? And why do I have two shut off valves on my fuel tank? (2001 #54)

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Fuel pump on stbd side aft on m-25xpbc engine. One shut off is the fuel return (closer to centerline on hull 218) and the other (to stbd and aft of return on mine) is the supply.

Dec 5, 2010
Just tested the fuel pump and it only works after a few taps on the housing...guess this explains why we ran out of fuel with 12 gals in the tank. Time to find a replacement pump and might go ahead and install a second racor filter so we can switch filters with the turning of a valve...just in case.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Inspect and re-seat the shovel connector that feeds power to the pump first.

Dec 5, 2010
It looked good but I do plan to give it a good cleaning to make sure it is good.
Thanks

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
Had a similar problem. With enough fuel, gravity fed the system just fine. Final culprit was a faulty oil pressure switch that prevented the power getting to the fuel pump. Also have that reset switch in series, too.

Dec 5, 2010
The thing that makes me think it is the pump is that when I tap on the pump housing it will come on briefly and I did read of a similar situation on the c34 site. Thanks for all the help and I will double check everything.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
That odd wiring with the oil pressure connection is pretty weird.

You may be interested in this:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg41829.html#msg41829
If the oil pressure switch remains open after the engine starts, the pump will not have power, and the buzzer should sound because the low impedance of the pump motor winding is now providing the ground for this alarm circuit.
This is actually a very efficient and crafty design preventing the motor from running when there is no oil pressure while sounding the alarm. The only problem is the designers of this curcuit did not have control over the fact that the system will gravity feed (to ~5/8 of a tank) and still run in the 310 implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.