Ram Mike Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I am the proud owner of an almost new 2006 Hunter 33. I swapped the vintage 2006 Icom radio for a new Standard Horizon ( Yaesu) Explorer model with the built in GPS, mainly because of the distress feature. The old radio had the ram mike cable connected but no connection at the helm. I have purchased the SH Ram mic. mainly because I get a display with GPS data at the helm for $89.00 plus a distress button in the cockpit and an intercom to the cabin, “Honey Bring me a Beer'. My question is those that have this option where is the Ram Mic. cable terminated? I assume balled up in the pedestal somewher.

Just for fun how many GPS rec. on your boat.
One in Radio
One puck type bluetooth for iPad chart plotter
Normally 3 iPhones, Mine, Wife, Son
Another iPhone not in service for phone by used as music server via bluetooth to stereo.

That makes 6 on a normal sail, if we have guests that could go to 8 or 9.

I still can get lost.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I would think it has to be terminated at the radio with a cable from the port on the pedestal to the nav station radio. The only other option is a wireless connection which I do not believe is even possible with this type of mike. It is just a fancy handset with a very long cable in several parts
I have 1 GPS, RayMarine 300

Jan 28, 2012
2006 Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
I have a 2006 H33 too, so am interested. I know the Icom I have has the older type DSC where you have to be tuned to Ch 70 in order to receive a DSC msg.

Do you know that the cabling put in for the Icom RAM Mike is compatible with the Std Hzn radio? How about the plugs?

I am the proud owner of an almost new 2006 Hunter 33. I swapped the vintage 2006 Icom radio for a new Standard Horizon ( Yaesu) Explorer model with the built in GPS, mainly because of the distress feature. The old radio had the ram mike cable connected but no connection at the helm. I have purchased the SH Ram mic. mainly because I get a display with GPS data at the helm for $89.00 plus a distress button in the cockpit and an intercom to the cabin, “Honey Bring me a Beer'. My question is those that have this option where is the Ram Mic. cable terminated? I assume balled up in the pedestal somewher.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I believe its coiled up inside the pedestal console. You're probably missing a metal bazel plate if the extension cable plug hasn't been factory fitted to console. No matter, you can still bore a hole ans mount the ext cable plug. Question is will the Icom cable fit the SH?
I'm keen to know.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I have a 2006 H33 too, so am interested. I know the Icom I have has the older type DSC where you have to be tuned to Ch 70 in order to receive a DSC msg.

Do you know that the cabling put in for the Icom RAM Mike is compatible with the Std Hzn radio? How about the plugs?

That is the 64 dollars question. The plug fit into the SH radio, I will let you know in a week. I think it may be a standard.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I believe its coiled up inside the pedestal console. You're probably missing a metal bazel plate if the extension cable plug hasn't been factory fitted to console. No matter, you can still bore a hole ans mount the ext cable plug. Question is will the Icom cable fit the SH?
I'm keen to know.
The new mic comes with an extension cable so may have to back fish it hope not. Also has a plate for the connector so should be ok.

Thanks

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
:DJim-Don't forget the gps tracker the NSA stuck on your boat.:D
Funny you should mention that, I actually do have a APRS GPS tracker in my man cave I bought from a fellow HAM to put on the boat, I just have to configure it. Yet another GPS device, at least this one will help me be found.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
Jim,
I would download a manual for the Icom and find the RAM mic cable pinout. I would be surprised if they're the same.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Funny you should mention that, I actually do have a APRS GPS tracker in my man cave I bought from a fellow HAM to put on the boat, I just have to configure it. Yet another GPS device, at least this one will help me be found.
I forgot about that. I used to have that onboard as well when my friend and I would sail around the Farallon Islands a long time ago. :)

/73
Allan
N6ZWL

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Jim,
I would download a manual for the Icom and find the RAM mic cable pinout. I would be surprised if they're the same.
Thanks for the help, I have both manuals just never thought about the pinouts, I will give them a look.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I haven't rec. the Ram mic. yet but did open the binnacle. Found the Ram cable curled inside, circuit for what I assume is for the autopilot, and another for a 12 volt receptacle. A pull string for addition wiring and a pig tail connector for something just stored in there. I was actually impressed that all the circuits I need were already run. Oh yeah and one big Mud Dabber nest. I will take a picture when I go out to connect the mic.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Update, Received Ram mic. and installed 10 to 15 min. The existing Icom cable will work but there is a catch. The Standard Horizon Cable has matching pins on one end and 2 additional pins on the other. The 2 additional pins are for an external speaker and come out of the back of the connector black and white wires. The other end plugs into the Icom ram cable and the speaker end into the SH Ram mike. The only got you is you end up with all the new cable coiled in the binnacle, hopefully it has no effect on the compass, yet to be tested. The binnacle had an unused hole with a grommet which worked for the connector on the SH ram cable connector. Very nice addition at the helm, well worth the $89.00 from Defender. BTW you do not need an external speaker the speaker in the Ram mic. is loud enough at the helm on a sailboat to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.