RAM Mike installation at the pedestal.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
I asked Catalina about the possibility of drilling through from the base of the starboard pedestal tube down through the deck, and if there was any contraindication to drill through. Just received this reply today from Warren Pandy of Catalina Yachts this morning:

"Bernie, it’s about 3 inches thick, and nothing stopping you from drilling thru3 diff layers of FRP, separated by core and the deck to headliner bonding compound which looks like chalk but is rock hard. that will vary boat to boat so that’s why we can’t say an exact thickness."

Has anyone done this?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bernie... Look up into the hole with the wires running through it. Use a bright light. Or even one of those peeper cameras (Harbor Freight). You will likely find exactly was Catalina stated.

Now the questions. Do you want a hole in the deck for new wires?

If so you need to plan to seal that hole from leaks. It means you remove binnacle guard from the base. You drilled through the base. Then use a good sealant to stop water from entering the hole you just made and reattach the base to the deck. Pass your wires up through the hole. Pass the wires through the tube and to the location you want the RamMic. Once all of the wires are in place, then I would caulk the tube back in the base so water running down the tube can no leak into the base and through your newly made hole. I would also seal the hole where the mike wire comes out so that water can not find it's way down the wire and inside the boat.

Once all sealed and put back together I would grab a beer :beer: sit back and listen to the weather station announce sunshine of the next 24 hours.

Aug 29, 2016
It would be way easier to rid the old Ray Marine instruments, then would only have three wires to run, as many owners have done (Leo) - power, N2MEA, radar.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I removed all the old Ray wires and now have only the power (Gauge 10), ram mic and N2k with room for Radar if I wanted. In the binnacle I have a bus bar for the power and to install a usb and any other thing that would take 12 volts. So far going to N2K I have removed about 150 feet of wire from the boat.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I removed all the old Ray wires and now have only the power (Gauge 10), ram mic and N2k with room for Radar if I wanted. In the binnacle I have a bus bar for the power and to install a usb and any other thing that would take 12 volts. So far going to N2K I have removed about 150 feet of wire from the boat.
I’m assuming you also replaced all of your sensors, and the original displays?

Aug 29, 2016
Bernie... Look up into the hole with the wires running through it. Use a bright light. Or even one of those peeper cameras (Harbor Freight). You will likely find exactly was Catalina stated.

Now the questions. Do you want a hole in the deck for new wires?

If so you need to plan to seal that hole from leaks. It means you remove binnacle guard from the base. You drilled through the base. Then use a good sealant to stop water from entering the hole you just made and reattach the base to the deck. Pass your wires up through the hole. Pass the wires through the tube and to the location you want the RamMic. Once all of the wires are in place, then I would caulk the tube back in the base so water running down the tube can no leak into the base and through your newly made hole. I would also seal the hole where the mike wire comes out so that water can not find it's way down the wire and inside the boat.

Once all sealed and put back together I would grab a beer :beer: sit back and listen to the weather station announce sunshine of the next 24 hours.
Catalina emailed me today and said those are long self tapping stainless steel screws into FRP with no backing plates. That’s usually a recipe for long term leaking potential under the deck...as those screws will eventually allow moisture to seep down - all the strains and pulls on the pedestal will do that.

Bombproof way is drill out those screw holes through to the full thickness, and fill with epoxy (assuming no moisture damage), allow to set, then redrill holes, and use a through bolt down with backing plates and sealant.

Last edited: