RAM Mike installation at the pedestal.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 77 Atlantic Highlands NJ NJ
I'm going to replace the very old VHF radio installed at the NAV Station with a new AIS / VHF and would like to have a Remote Mike at the Helm. Has anyone installed a RAM mike from the nav station to either the pedestal or a vertical surface in the cockpit of a Catalina 310? I would prefer to have it at the pedestal. What route did you take with the cable and what kind of connectors did you use after drilling holes in the cockpit or the pedestal?

Thanks Much

Jack

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
This reply is not specific to your Cat 310; however, when I installed an ICOM ram mike, I had to order an extension cord as the cord that was included with the kit was not quite long enough for the circuitous route. I have a factory mounted instrument pod on my pedestal and attached the mike connector receptacle to the pod.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I have not on a 310.

I have installed one (SH 2100) on my C-30. My connector for the mic is on my engine control panel, not on the pedestal. The connector for the Standard Horizon is quite large, and would be very difficult to fish through the pedestal without removing the guts of the pedestal - including the steering cables. Then you are faced with how to get it out of the pedestal and mounted somewhere. A slot in the compass mount would work (assuming a Edson style pedestal). The SH connector is not one I'd disassemble to fish.

My radio is down below, stbd side, at the chart table. I ran the cable in the channel created by the hull-deck joint all the way to the stern and around to the port side where my engine panel is. The SH cable that comes with the mic is plenty long.

I'd also be a bit concerned if the mic (since it's got a speaker in it) could interfere with the compass if mounted close on the pedestal.

I really like having the remote mic. On the SH, it displays a semi-usable AIS diagram right on the mic, in addition to a quite useful text listing. If I were to do it again I'd definitely go with the Standard Horizon GX2200 with the integrated GPS as well as the AIS.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I went with a Simrad RS35 VHF radio and the Simrad HS35 wireless remote mike when I went through the AIS/DSC upgrade during the winter refit. The AIS unit I chose is the Raymarine AIS700. It's a nice set up, integrated well with the RM chartplotter.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Ran into the same consideration last year when I was upgrading my VHF and Chart Plotter . Went with the SH GX2200 with GPS / AIS and a RAM mike on our pedestal. Wanted to make it easy on the RAM but eventually broke down and cut the extension cable (OK per instructions) and fished the smaller cable up and soldered each wire of the cable back and heat shrank each one to seal. GX2200 with AIS is really nice and clear and am interfacing the AIS to my Raymarine Axiom 9 as an overlay.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have a Cat 310 with remote mic on the inst pod. Cable route was not that hard but you may need extra length of cable for the run.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I did the same installation as you are looking at on my C270 years ago. You would need the ram extension. I installed the SH radio below deck at the nav station, and the Ram at the helm. Cut and spiced the Ram cable. Worked great. I liked having the main radio down below to keep it out of the weather and to monitor.
My C-385 has the same install except with a Icom below and Icom ram at the helm.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I have actually hired that project out, as it was worth (to me) paying for 2-3 hours of work rather than spending 4-5 hours of my time doing it. I already had an old Remote Mic in the cockpit, but it was paired with a really old VHF. I replaced the VHF myself in the nav cabinet, but it is one with AIS and the old extension cable was not compatible. The cables come down the binnacle pipe, out by the steering cables, back into the aft area by the water heater, then back out and along the starboard side of the boat and into the nav cabinet.

The issue I had (and why I hired it out) is that the new extension cable was bigger than the old one. So it didn't look like it would fit into the pipe without enlarging the hole (it turned out my guy just dropped all the other cables and then there was just enough room to get the extension up and through and then re-pull all the other cables back up.

I've attached some photos of the project in progress. While he was doing that work I also had a USB charger installed as well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jack. I installed a Ram+ mic in ny cockpit. Found a spot low on a vertical space near the helm. 23ft of cord was more than enough to snake up to the Nav Station where my SH Radio is located. Total time less than an hour. Required a hole drill to put the proper sized hole for the plugin fitting and small drill holes for 2 screws. Zip ties to suspend the cable. Remember to attach the ferrite core filter to the cable. Plug and play. Manufacturer recommends turning off radio before plugging in or unplugging the mic.

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
I mounted the connector on the inside of the stern hull. I put it just starboard (I'm right handed) of the lift out helm seat but not far enough away to interfere with opening the small corner hatch. I the mounted a mic clip on the stanchion near where the latch for the swim ladder lock engages. Easy cable run to the back of the boat & no cords in the steering area. I will be at the boat tonight if pictures are warranted.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Is everyone happy with the ram mike speaker in the handset or is a separate mounted speaker really required?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good question Larry. While sailing the mic has more than enough volume. While motoring there are times when you need to be listening in order to identify the boat name.
This is as much a function of your radio as it is of the mic.
Also depends on what other background noise is present. Like a radio booming out the latest and greatest...hits.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
We have been more then satisfied with the external RAM mike, very clear and plenty loud.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is everyone happy with the ram mike speaker in the handset or is a separate mounted speaker really required?
Make sure you get the current CMP31 and not the older CMP30 mic. They look exactly alike, but the 31 has a longer cord, and has 30% more speaker volume, which was the #1 complaint with the older mic.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I mounted the connector on the inside of the stern hull. I put it just starboard (I'm right handed) of the lift out helm seat but not far enough away to interfere with opening the small corner hatch. I the mounted a mic clip on the stanchion near where the latch for the swim ladder lock engages.
Do you have any issues with a cockpit full of people knocking into the connector/mic? I have my autopilot mounted on the starboard side directly across from where the helmsman stands, and I have people sitting there knocking into it all the time...

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
I have no problem with physical interference. The connector is next to my right hip and the coiled mic cord goes right up the stern rail to the mic clip. That also puts the mic speaker near my ear to better hear incoming traffic.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
On my experience, the command mic is only hard to hear when wet/raining. I ran the wire up the starboard pipe on the binnacle guard. Had to remove the existing wires and file the hole a little bigger to get it out.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
I second Jackdaw on the CMP31 comment. I actually sold my CMP30 and got a CMP31 so the cord was long enough. The coily cord is sort of stiff, and pulls pretty firmly against you if you are trying to stretch it why using the mic. The CPM31 is just a little bit longer and makes a difference.

I mounted the connector to the back/bottom on my NavPod (3 Raymarine navpod) and also hang the mic on the side just between my navpod and my drink holder. This keeps it out of the way from being snagged or bumped. I tested a fair bit with the Mic powered up while moving it in and around the compass to ensure that it was far enough away to avoid interference. It WILL affect your compass if close enough.

As others have noted, I cut the cable to be able to feed it through the pedestal and to a junction box in the lazarette.

The Legend 35 (87-9?) has an awful pedestal guard (for wiring) in that it does NOT go down to the cockpit sole, and pulls a 90deg bend into the pedestal. Make wiring pretty tricky.
Pedestal.png

Chris