raising rusted keel

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
Late last year I purchased a 1983 Catalina 22. With the warmer weather I've been in the water to look at the keel. It's heavily rusted, the surface is very rough and small pieces of rust (1/8") come off in my hand. The previous owner had the boat for 6 years and had never raised the keel. My question is - can the keel be too thick with rust to raise and/or fit into it's slot? Or worse yet could it wedge into the slot and get stuck? I'm ordering Catalina Direct's DVD to help with removing the keel and repairing it. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Not very much of the keel swings up into a keel slot as you would think. As you raise the keel you will feel it get heavier and heavier. Do not try to force the keel up if the winch is really very tough. When the swing keel is all the way up the front edge of keel will now be parallel with the bottom of the hull. 14 to 16 inches of the keel hangs below the hull.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Good luck! Let us know how things work out. I have a similar issue with a boat, but the keel was left in the up position.

Don

Jun 28, 2014
Catalina 22-MK1 West Sayville
Can the marina take the boat out of the water for you. Pop it up on blocks for a couple of days.

Day one, scrap the rust off and truly get a sense of how bad it is. Then paint with the proper paint (maybe someone can suggest a paint for metal surfaces here) let dry

Day 2, pop her back in the water.

If day one reveals much corrosion, do what you can for a temporary fix and make the proper plans to address when it makes sense.