Oct 7, 2011
Starwind 19 canyon Lake Tx
Several years ago I saw an "A" frame used to raise the mast
singled handled. Does anyone have plans for this or another
system it was for a Catalina and I have a Starwind 19
thank you AWOL1958

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
There is a lot of info on the internet about gin pole rigs for mast raising on small sailboats. Most are homemade but there are commercial products out there too, no need for them, IMO.

No 'A' frame needed, just a gin pole and a bridle to stabilize the mast on its way up, and some sort of winch or block system - really a simple setup.

Search for 'gin pole mast raising system' or the like, ignore any overly complex setups.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
According to the sales brochure http://www.starwinds.com/stw190.html the Starwind 19 came with a hinged "Easy Step" mast tabernacle. I think you could bypass the A frame idea, and build a "crutch" that you place in the cockpit or cabin hatch sill, to prop the mast up high enough to either, move to the cabin top and lift it the rest of the way yourself, or use the assistance of the mainsheet tackle, attached to the jib halyard. Stand near the mast base so you can stabilize the spar with one hand, while pulling in the tackle with the other hand to raise the mast.

Oct 7, 2011
Several years ago I saw an "A" frame used to raise the mast
singled handled. Does anyone have plans for this or another
system it was for a Catalina and I have a Starwind 19
thank you AWOL1958
I want to thank you all for your speedy reply an dthe simple way to step the mast.
I have had the boat 3 days now which needed some TLC in the cleaning and polishing
area. Today I'm moving it to the street inorder to step the mast and install all the
gear including the sails so I don't look like a dumy.
SO KUDOS TO YOU ALL AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH
John A WAHL San Antonio Tx Canyon lake

Oct 7, 2011
yesterday I tried to step the mast but was unable to. Now I will try a crutch with the help of a neighbor as I'm not strong enough by my self.
And as for the line to operate the center board I take it the boat must be in the water to attach the line as I see nothing below deck.
AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP
John

iggy

May 13, 2010
'Godzown' NG515 Seabita 19' Port of Maffra Victoria Australia
G'day

I use a Mastmate <http://www.mastmate.com.au/> with a mast-raising pole/crutch made from an adjustable aluminium paint extension handle with a pair of skate board rollers that run either side of the mast rack. Sorry no pictures available at this stage.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.