Raising boom to level

Dec 31, 2020
Catalina 30 Gig Harbor
OK, prolly a really naive question (new owner). So I’m wanting to set up a tarp (boom tent) to protect part of my newly purchased 1987 Catalina 30 Mk II. The boom doesn’t look quite level, aft end droops a bit. So I set about leveling the boom so I can set up the tent evenly. I centered the boom on the traveler, eased the main sheet and the boom vang, and went to winch the topping lift line to raise the aft end of the boom to level. It’s fighting me. Am I missing something?

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
With the two forward controls very loose can you raise the boom by hand? You should be able to. If you can maybe the topping lift is jammed?
Are you winching on the boom lift or a spinnaker pole lift?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Use the mainsail halyard, it keeps it from slapping the mast that way and you can adjust the boom end height, then counter it with the mainsheet for stabilization. One of the very best upgrades you can make is adding a "rigid vang"... Garhauerer Marine makes and excellent rigid vang that is quite reasonably priced. Getting rid of the topping lift will make your sailing even more pleasurable that it already is... trust me... it's well worth the investment.

Regarding your topping lift, if it's all rope it may be oversize or swollen and is jamming in the masthead sheave. Other than that I have no suggestions.... the topping lift on my 77 C27 was static with an adjustment rig at the bottom, on the boom. Bottom line for me is the TL is an irritation in this day of large roach mainsails with full battens. PIA.. easily solved by the rigid vang conversion.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
On my C-30 the topping lift was static. I removed it, added a Garhauer Rigid Boom Vang, and used the main halyard to raise the boom above the level the Vang would hold it. (you want the sail to pull it up when you hoist it)

So, main halyard.

May 1, 2017
Catalina 30 MK II Noank
OK, prolly a really naive question (new owner). So I’m wanting to set up a tarp (boom tent) to protect part of my newly purchased 1987 Catalina 30 Mk II. The boom doesn’t look quite level, aft end droops a bit. So I set about leveling the boom so I can set up the tent evenly. I centered the boom on the traveler, eased the main sheet and the boom vang, and went to winch the topping lift line to raise the aft end of the boom to level. It’s fighting me. Am I missing something?
Before we set our boom tent, I use an Upside down T brace made of 2x6 wood to support the boom. For the bottom of the T, cut a piece of the 2x6 to fit on the cockpit sole between the seats, flat on sole. The top of the long board is cut with a deep U shape that will cradle the boom, but to desired length, then screw the bottom T brace to the bottom edge of the long board to form your T (make sure you countersink the screws). I then put a square of padded indoor/outdoor carpet on the sole of the cockpit, before I place the T boom support in position. I use a pair of thin nylon rope to tie the top of the brace to the two winches to help secure it into position. In addition to giving your boom tent ample support, this will allow you to take tension off of your toping lift. I would recommend enough tension on the mainsheet to prevent the boom from popping out of the U at the top.

Good luck!