Raising boom height Hunter 28.5

Feb 13, 2023
Hunter 27-2 Milwaukee
I am considering purchase of 1988 Hunter 28.5. The boom sits around 5’8” from floor of cockpit when measured at the bottom Of the boomThe opening in the mast for the mainsail slugs is about 8-10”above the top of the boom. Why cant I reattach the boom below that slot so as to gain 6-8’ of head clearance. I realize the mainsail would have to be trimmed to accommodate this change

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
so, when sailing the boom is off to the side, mostly. at the dock, at anchor, while motoring the boom can easily be tied over to the side or hoisted up quite high if wanted. that said, why do you want to mess with the designed shape of your sails.

what are your needs?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Jon, ever experience a unexpected jibe?
Some folks just can't duck that fast!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
sure
i'm 6'5". and quick enough, so far

so your thinking it could be a 'slow duck'r' issue

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a reasonable query @inkunzi . When considering it you need to be aware of the boat.design, Let’s start with an image of the boat.
1699593190379.jpeg

It is a mast head sloop. This means that the driver of this boat is the foresail. In the image the boom is already high in the air. Note that the sail is a low aspect sail. Due to the rig design and sail cut, the boat is already underpowered for it’s hull shape and size. Raising the boom 6 inches will cut a significant amount of sail area from the main sail. This will change the rig balance potentially creating a Lee helm condition.

You would be better off looking for a boat designed to meet your desired height requirement in the cockpit rather than to alter the designed sail plan of the Hunter 28.5.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Inkunzi
RE; Why cant I reattach the boom below that slot so as to gain 6-8’ of head clearance. I realize the mainsail would have to be trimmed to accommodate this change

The simple answer is that you can do whatever you want on your boat.
HOWEVER there are some things to consider.
jssailem has mentioned the effect on performance. That is a biggy.

Another is the resale value on a rig modified boat.
The sail modification will cost (more than you think) and reduce the desirability and resale value.
My take is that if you do reduce the area of the foot of the sail, all of the reef tackle on the boom will also have to be moved.
The lines and blocks will not line up with the original reefing set up.
Holes in the boom where old blocks and padeyes have been removed and refitted is a real no-no signal when selling.

Your boat. Your choice.

gary

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I have '88 Hunter 28.5 and I do understand your initial impression, that the boom is too low, but we've had our boat for 8 years, and it's never been a real problem. When we dock the we use the traveler to move the boom over to the port side and tie it down there, out of the way. No problem getting in or out of the cabin. Just a pain when doing the dock duties (putting on/off bumpers, main sail cover, etc.) and having to crawl under the boom on the port side...

As for the jibe, you obviously have to be careful, but It would be above anyone's head (no one would be standing up), should a jibe occur.

The only issue that I've had was when we had a bimini made for the boat, the back stay got in the way, and they couldn't put it too far forward due to the boom height and backstay.

Sir Michael

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
The previous owner of my boat raised the boom about a foot. I don't why, but my guess is so they could add a dodger. The boom barely clears the dodger now that it is raised. They did get a new main sail though. As for reduced resale value, you can always put it back down

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
so, when sailing the boom is off to the side, mostly. at the dock, at anchor, while motoring the boom can easily be tied over to the side or hoisted up quite high if wanted. that said, why do you want to mess with the designed shape of your sails.

what are your needs?
I will inevitably bang my head on the boom as I exit the companionway on my O’Day 322 when the boom is centered…but I am with Jon…when I am sailing, the boom is off to one side or the other…when anchored or at the dock, I pull the traveller off to one side (opposite my finger pier), so it doesn’t get in the way.

Seems like a lot of work and expense for little gain you can’t get by just tying the boom over to one side.plus you are going to give up some level of performance.

Just my 2 cents…

Greg

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
As for reduced resale value, you can always put it back down

True JBP-PA but you are left with the holes in the mast where the gooseneck was refitted and the holes in the boom where the reefing tackle relocated.
Holes (even) patched up are ugly.

gary

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
You can also have a competent aluminum welder patch the holes. I have seen that done to a mast. The weld filled the hole and then was grounded smooth. The mast looked line new, once painted.

• Helpful
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
I recommend you get a sailmaker to put a reef cringle a foot or so up the mainsail leech. When you take in the reef, the end of the boom will be lifted by that amount. It's a trivial modification to the boat, is inexpensive, and shouldn't affect the resale value at all. If you decide you want the full mainsail, say in light air or in a race, just let the reef out. Simple and easy.

Feb 13, 2023
Hunter 27-2 Milwaukee
I have '88 Hunter 28.5 and I do understand your initial impression, that the boom is too low, but we've had our boat for 8 years, and it's never been a real problem. When we dock the we use the traveler to move the boom over to the port side and tie it down there, out of the way. No problem getting in or out of the cabin. Just a pain when doing the dock duties (putting on/off bumpers, main sail cover, etc.) and having to crawl under the boom on the port side...

As for the jibe, you obviously have to be careful, but It would be above anyone's head (no one would be standing up), should a jibe occur.

The only issue that I've had was when we had a bimini made for the boat, the back stay got in the way, and they couldn't put it too far forward due to the boom height and backstay.

Sir Michael

Feb 13, 2023
Hunter 27-2 Milwaukee
Hello- I did go ahead and purchase the 1988 Hunter 28.5. I’m in the Port of Milwaukee sailing Lake Michigan. Too many positives to allow the boom height to kill the deal. The boat was in my yard on the hard (i have a hunter 27 1991 wing keel- i do not like the way it sails so I am selling it). I will probably try the suggestion about installing a reef cringle 10-12 inches above the clew so as to lift the aft end of the boom when mainsail is up? ( so- I effectively shorten the leach) there is an spare old mainsail included with the boat.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Congrats on your new boat. May it fulfill your desires and bring much pleasure to your sailing days.

Jan 7, 2011
Hello- I did go ahead and purchase the 1988 Hunter 28.5. I’m in the Port of Milwaukee sailing Lake Michigan. Too many positives to allow the boom height to kill the deal. The boat was in my yard on the hard (i have a hunter 27 1991 wing keel- i do not like the way it sails so I am selling it). I will probably try the suggestion about installing a reef cringle 10-12 inches above the clew so as to lift the aft end of the boom when mainsail is up? ( so- I effectively shorten the leach) there is an spare old mainsail included with the boat.
Have fun…Lake Michigan is a great place to sail…lots of water, no tides, no salt, no sharks…and lots of challenges for sharpening your skills.

I took delivery of my first boat (Hunter 280) in Milwaukee and sailed her south to Indiana.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
East Chicago, IN

Closest marina to my house (also not in Gary).

Greg

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
That’s helpful… But sadly there is no fun song about East Chicago IN… :angry: