Rained during non skid.

gs11gk

Jul 13, 2018
Pearson 30 Austin, TX
I am painting the deck of my Pearson 35. Using Alexseal 501 topcoat and soft sand (fine). After checking the weekend weather yesterday, I finished sanding the primer and rolled the first coat of topcoat and broadcast the non skid at 3-4 on Saturday. Vacuumed the excess off at 7pm under the lights. My plan was to apply two coats today to lock it in…. But is has been misting and light rain all day. No painting.

I know the application guidelines say no more that 24 hours between each of the three coats. I’m wondering if I will need to sand all this off or If the non skid will give me some latitude. Seems to me it should not be a total killer if I let it all dry out and then do the next two coats within 24 hours of each other. The last two coats should still be absorbed into the soft sand and the two coats should chemically bond. The soft sand itself provides some mechanical fixation.

Is this wishful thinking. Obviously, I don’t want to sand it all off and start over.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is this wishful thinking.
Obviously
I would reach out to the Alexseal tech shop. They have seen it all. Let them know your predicament and see what they say.

Certainly less crying than if you do the paint over and find that the 2 top coats do not adhere to the first coat, then fall off in a year.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Talk to Andy Miller at Boatworks Today. He is knowledgeable and an Alexseal dealer.