Rain water leaking in V berth

akabud

Jan 8, 2023
Catalina 30 Delta
Water collects ahead of the little door under the entrance of V berth when it rains.
There is no path for it to drain into the bilge.
It doesn't look like anything is leaking where the stansions are.
I emptied the anchor locker and the drain is open and it doesn't look like anything could leak through it.
Any ideas where it might be coming in?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Mine leaks right now through the thru hull drain. Those thru hulls are nylon and they crack. I’m about to replace mine.

Jun 2, 2014
I've determined my rain leak is mostly coming in from the V-Berth. Fills up in front of the water tank, it must flow around it, puddles up in front of the little door as you described and it must still find it's way to the bilge, as it's a few gallons in there and I think I've got my mast leak under control now, as there's evidence that it isn't pooling there.
We have another rain coming tomorrow. I'm going to figure this out this weekend.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Stanchion bases? try using the baby powder trick to determine the route.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On my 93 C30 there is a limber hole just aft of the v berth water tank. I never get water inside the small door on the starboard side but always thought there was a limber hole aft of that door.
On the port side there is a limber hole in the corner just forward of the head bulkhead.
Like @jonelli I had a leak around the thru hull in the bottom of the anchor locker. Water flowed from that leak under the V Berth pan to the limber hole in the corner just forward of the head bulkhead, then into the bilge.
I used some 4200 to coat that thru hull and it stopped the leak.

Jun 2, 2014
I just visited my boat during the rains today. My anchor locker isn't as bad as I thought, very little water, but still some water.
My mast is leaking quite a bit, coming through the compression post down the wires, draining into the bilge.

• Wow
Jun 2, 2014
I just visited my boat during the rains today. My anchor locker isn't as bad as I thought, very little water, but still some water.
My mast is leaking quite a bit, coming through the compression post down the wires, draining into the bilge.
See this post:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello @akabud
Welcome to the forum. You are getting some torrential rainfall this year. One might ask "Where are these monsoons coming from..." Thank you, La Niña "

Finding a leak on a boat is a challenge. Two immediate but maybe not practical solutions:
  1. Move the boat to water where it doesn't rain. Perhaps the Baja - Sea of Cortez would be a nice sunny place.
  2. Build a tent. The plastic tarps work well as a temporary solution. At least till the conditions improve and you get your sone back.
When you are ready to tackle this challenge, you need to hunt down the source. It may be coming from more than one place, just showing up in the V-Berth. All places where the hull or deck have been punctured (by bolts or other hard wear) are suspect. Get a moisture meter and on a dry deck start the search like a blood hound with the scent in it's nose. Mark all the locations you suspect. Then go back and make sure they are sealed from the outside in. Water tends to run down hill. Start high and work low. On occasion I have enjoyed water wicking up hill in a boat. I can not explain it but watching it happen was a surprise.. I was able to stop it.

Good luck. Search on the forum for "water leaks". They happen on all makes and sizes of boats. You may find help on the "Ask All Sailors" section.