Rain water in cabin

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
When it rains I get water coming in between the top board and the sliding hatch. The sliding hatch only closes as far as the middle of the top board. It does not extend over the top board. The rain also gets in at the aft corners of the hatch. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and a possible solution. Thx

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Ugh, that's gotta be annoying! Our hatch slides aft far enough to overhang the top board, we're not blessed with this issue.

Thicker weatherboard on top? Bevel the edge of the top crib board? I'll look at mine later and see if something else comes to mind. It'd be nice if that hatch just slid further aft!

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Ugh, that's gotta be annoying! Our hatch slides aft far enough to overhang the top board, we're not blessed with this issue.

Thicker weatherboard on top? Bevel the edge of the top crib board? I'll look at mine later and see if something else comes to mind. It'd be nice if that hatch just slid further aft!
Thanks for the input Gene! I like the idea of beveling the top board. As for the aft corners of the hatch so open I have to believe the fascia board on the hatch has to be post marketed by a previous owner. Looking closed it appears hand cut. Again thx for some ideas. Was hoping I didn't have to think so much after retiring. lol

Sep 30, 2013
Okay, I think I may have something more. Try this:

With the crib boards in place and the slider partially open, sit on (or beside) the poptop hatch, forward of the sliding hatch, and slowly push the slider aft until it contacts the lip that stops it.

Now lift upward on the forward edge of the sliding hatch, and push it aft again, until it stops again. Now, go to the cockpit and look at your overhang. Has the slider now moved aft far enough to keep the rain out?

If so, I may have your solution. ;)

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Okay, I think I may have something more. Try this:

With the crib boards in place and the slider partially open, sit on (or beside) the poptop hatch, forward of the sliding hatch, and slowly push the slider aft until it contacts the lip that stops it.

Now lift upward on the forward edge of the sliding hatch, and push it aft again, until it stops again. Now, go to the cockpit and look at your overhang. Has the slider now moved aft far enough to keep the rain out?

If so, I may have your solution. ;)
I think I'm following what you suggest. I don't however have a poptop Catalina. Next time down I will evaluate the sliding hatch as you suggest. Thx again!

Sep 30, 2013
Here's what I'm driving at:

The lips which support the sides of the sliding hatch gradually wear down over time and need to be built back up. Your lips look pretty thin, judging by the pic above. They will eventually crack when someone steps on the slider, especially at one of the corners.

If (when) you build them back up, it will raise the height of the sliding hatch, thereby allowing it to slide further aft.

It's not a difficult project, especially if done before the cracking begins. My own experience: Sliding hatch "lips" cracking

Hope this helps!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Put a small block under where the hasp mounts on the top board and when you lock it up the slider hatch will overhand and solve the problem , see photo. Bonus idea solar walk light in handle lights up combo padlock at night.
Spacer for sliding hatch.jpg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
+1 to all the above....

I sometimes have difficulty in getting the 3 crib boards "seated" or fully interlocking with each other (being old & swelled up some), thus preventing the sliding hatch to slide OVER the top crib board....I persuade them to get their act together, then the sliding hatch overlaps and keeps the water out...my 2 cents.....

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
You lucked out because the sliding hatch board on my boat is thin from age so did not overlap properly until I put in the spacer so it slides a bit further out when I latch it. I have by the way had to rehab my crib boards several times including putting in biscuits to reattach the side boards to the middle, and screws in from ends, see below.
2nd crib board repair (1).JPG
3 rd crib board repair sigh! (3).jpg

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
+1 to all the above....

I sometimes have difficulty in getting the 3 crib boards "seated" or fully interlocking with each other (being old & swelled up some), thus preventing the sliding hatch to slide OVER the top crib board....I persuade them the get their act together, then the sliding hatch overlaps and keeps the water out...my 2 cents.....
My hatch has no problems clearing the top board. Just doesn't come out far enough to over hang them. But thx

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
My hatch has no problems clearing the top board. Just doesn't come out far enough to over hang them. But thx
I would go with Genes original idea as I had to do this to my vintage hatch cover also. A thicker trim piece fitted to the cockpit side of the sliding hatch cover.

Or of course the patch and plaster method by making up a canvas cover that acts as a rain jacket for the hatch!

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
I find I have to lift my hatch slightly to get it to come over the wash board, then it drops down. I suspect Gene is right on the worn out slides- I rebuilt mine as one of the first projects on my boat.