Radar mounting dilemma

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I installed a new radar on my 323 last summer, and am looking for solutions to correcting the angularity of the mount. Long story short, I did not want a mast mount so I opted for a Scanstrut backstay mount. The issue is related to the split backstay.

Because there is really no room around the base of the backstay, I attached the radar “mast” bracket to the transom. That worked out fairly well. The “mast “ fit between the railings on the pushpit with about an inch of clearance.

The problem is due to the transom curvature, the radome ends up pointing about 10-15 degrees from parallel to the centerline of the boat. Not being a mathematical genius, and working with a mounting bracket that is only about 1-1/2 by 2-1/2 inches, I need some suggestions for creating some wedge type shims to compensate for the angularity. (Ignore the dirty boat, It just came out of winter storage )
EECCB441-FC83-4838-A7CA-C5CDAA6C5DA5.jpeg
C6C4C607-44E4-476F-B2D4-59B44F24EFF0.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
the radome ends up pointing about 10-15 degrees from parallel to the centerline of the boat.
Which plane is this in? Is this a compass (horizontal plane) issue or a plumb bob (verticle/level) issue?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Since the radar image is an overlay on top of the chart, are you seeing the radar images offset by those 10-15 degrees? If so, contact Raymarine and see if you can adjust the image offset on the chartplotter.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
SO what you are saying is that the radome points off your port bow about 10-15 degrees instead of straight ahead due to the split back stay. Short of moving the base of the pole towards the center of the boat to achieve that straight ahead, you need to figure out the exact angle you are off. Then you can redrill the mount with 3 (use one hole as a point of reference) new holes and remount the radar. Some basic compass work (tools should be in your nav station) and about 30 minutes of time and you should be good to go.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I know very little about radar systems, but it seems likely your radar's horizontal plane is near 360 deg and therefore the forward view heading is probably software controlled. What is the model, and feature package of your radar? Maybe there is a solution that doesn't require remounting the unit.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Thanks for the input.
To clarify, the radome is on a gimbal mount and remains, parallel to the horizon.
There is software adjustability in the Raymarine Quantum dome ( to a point)
The primary reason I wish to straighten the mount is that it looks funky.
I really cannot move the mounting bracket toward the boat centerline without modifying the midrail on the pushpit for mast clearance.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Many boats I've sailed on had the pole mounted vertical, behind the railing, same place as yours, and held straight with 2 arms. There was no problems with either mast or angle
Image006.jpg Image018.jpg Image039.jpg

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
My neighbor mounted his on a piece of starboard u-clamped to both backstays ,then gimbal mounted to starboard ,putting the radar on boat centerline and no pole, looked good.